𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶-𝔣𝔬𝔲𝔯

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

April, 506 AD

I watched the corridor through a small crack in my door, waiting for everyone to go into the ceremonial hall. My tablet marked 14:21, so 20:21. It wouldn't be long before dinner was served and all people piled inside the large room. I backed away and threw on a black sweatshirt, keeping the hood up. That would make it harder for my identity to be discovered if someone were to see me go inside Uther's room, or so I hoped. I mean, it worked for 'A'. 

At about 20:40, the corridor was finally desert. Wearing only socks on my feet, seeking to avoid the potential sound that boots or sneakers might make against the floor, I slipped into the hallway and quietly sneaked up to the King's bedroom. I glanced around me once more and, having ensured that no one was around, I quickly went in.

My eyes instantly travelled to the desk where, sure enough, a long paper parchment sat. Curious, I skimmed its contents. I recognised the handwriting as Geoffrey of Monmouth's – that little traitor. His penmanship was enchanting to me. But more than that, I was actually surprised by the contents of the contract. Despite all the holes I'd been able to poke into the 'match' when Uther first told me about it, I had to concede that it was a very strong alliance.

A wave of guilt ran through me. Was I being selfish in trying to stop it? What did mine and Arthur's feelings matter if the entirety of Camelot would be better off because of it?

Then I remembered my Aunt's words. Love had to be placed above all, or else nothing would work. Elena and Arthur certainly didn't love each other, and there was little chance of that ever changing. A bitter King would be more detrimental to Camelot in the future than a weak alliance. Ask Uther.

I sighed and quickly shoved the parchment in the pocket of my sweatshirt. Then I scurried out of the room and hurried back to my own. There, I hid the contract inside my locked suitcase – where Merlin's magic book was hidden. I'd burn it later, when lighting the fireplace in my bedroom wouldn't raise much suspicion. I would already be raising some by arriving late to the feast. I knew that Uther would at least question me when he finds the contract missing.

That didn't matter. I'd just bought myself at least another day to figure out how to convince Uther to back out.

And with that out of the way; I changed into brown denim leggings, a sage green tunic, my black Converse, and brushed my hair – which had become slightly frizzy due to the hoodie – before skipping out of the room and going to the ceremonial hall.

All eyes turned my way as I entered.

"Heyyy! Sorry I'm late. I fell asleep," I said, awkwardly shifting in my spot. Uther glared at me.

"Better late than never! Come on in, Lady Astraea!" Lord Godwyn spoke cheerfully, making me feel slightly guilty from what I'd just done. I smiled at him and went towards the table.