𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶-𝔣𝔦𝔳𝔢

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

April, 505 AD

The next morning found me slumped on a chair next to Arthur at the ceremonial hall. I eyed him from time to time, contemplating his handsome features. I hadn't had the guts to face him since my conversation with Elena. I was too nervous to see what the outcome of my big plan would be. He must have noticed my unusual deflated state because, once again, he placed a hand on my knee. 

"Are you okay?" he asked in a whisper. 

"Never better," I faked a smile, but dropped it as soon as he turned away.

Finally, Lord Godwyn and the Princess entered the room. She took a seat on the Prince's other side, and her father sat right next to her. My eyes connected with the blonde's and she gave me a reassuring smile, which made me sigh and relax a little.

Uther stood up as soon as everyone was sat at the table, a proud grin on his lips. 

My heart pounded in my chest as I watched him warily. This was it.

"I am honoured to be standing before you today in the presence of our dear friend, Lord Godwyn, and his wonderful daughter, Elena. The people of this kingdom are very dear to me. This place is my life. And I hope that one day, when I am no longer here, my son will carry on my good work with the support of a great woman," he spoke, his eyes jumping from person to person. Arthur tensed up beside me and his grip on my knee tightened, though not enough to hurt me. "Arthur, is there anything you wish to say to Elena?" the King wondered with a smile, but sent his son a stern glare towards the end.

The Prince suddenly looked enraged and ready to start throwing knives. I dared to look up at him as he clenched his jaw, his glare not leaving his father for a couple of seconds. I covered his hand with mine and gave him an encouraging squeeze. 

"Is there something you would like to say, Arthur?" Lord Godwyn pushed, managing to tear Arthur's glaring eyes away from Uther. 

The blond stood up. My heart was racing at such speed that I feared it would burst out of my chest like in that episode from Supernatural where cartoon moments were becoming real. All hope seemed lost to me for a moment as the Prince cleared his throat.

I looked past him to make eye contact with the Princess, who appeared to be as mortified as I was.

"Yes. Something I should have said a long time ago. Something from the heart I dare not speak," Arthur stated, eyes darting around the room, before he turned to Elena. I stopped breathing. "Elena, you are a wonderful and beautiful woman...but I cannot deny my feelings..." he trailed off and gulped, seemingly struggling to find what words to say next. 

"You do not love me," Elena filled in for him, her voice nonchalant.

I sighed in relief and leant against the back of my seat, trying to be as discreet as possible as I took in deep breaths and fought a smile that threatened to take over the poker face I'd forced on.