𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶-𝔰𝔦𝔵

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

⏳April, 506 AD

For the fourth consecutive morning I found myself having breakfast with Uther, Arthur and Morgana. Ever since the almost-wedding two weeks prior, the King had been keeping me closer under the statement that he would never again underestimate my valuable contributions to his household. Of course, Arthur, Merlin and I had laughed about that behind his back. A lot. And, while I obviously missed having breakfast with my best friend and Gaius almost every day, I appreciated the extra time I got to spend next to the Prince. 

I entertained myself by building little structures with my silverware while the two Pendragons discussed something related to coin manufacturing and stuff. I don't know, I wasn't paying much attention as I tried to get the knife to stand on its side. 

"...Gwen. She did not turn up for work this morning," Morgana's voice snapped me out of my focus and the knife fell once again. My mind instantly went to the darkest places. The first theory I fixated on was that the Lady had murdered her maidservant, for some reason. Probably over missing some dust on her vanity, or what have you. And the thought caused my heart to start racing. 

"That is not like her," Arthur mentioned, appearing unconcerned. 

"I know, it is strange. I hope nothing is wrong," Morgana replied, her face contorting in worry. Fake worry. The darkness in her eyes gave that detail away. I glared at her when the males weren't looking. 

"You need not worry, Morgana. After all, if your maid can no longer be relied upon, we can easily replace her," Uther waved off her concerns. 

I scoffed. "Utah, Gwen is sweet and loyal to the bones. Good luck replacing her," I told him, narrowing my eyes. The King shook his head at me and I clenched my jaw. A gentle squeeze on my knee kept me from arguing further. 

"I am sure she will turn up soon enough," the Prince played intermediary. 

"Yeah," I let out a shaky sigh and glared at Morgana once more before standing up. 

"Where are you going?" Uther protested. 

"To check Gwen's home and figure out what's up," I replied. 

The King seemed to be about to start arguing once more, but Arthur beat him to speaking "That would be great, Astra. Take Merlin with you," he told me. I smiled at him, smirked at Uther, and left the room with my best friend right behind me. 

"Are you okay?" I noticed the worried look on his face as we walked down the stairs and reached to grab his hand. 

"I will be when we find her," he replied. I felt a smile tug at my lips at his caring words, but knew better than to tease him about their relationship status at the moment and we stayed relatively silent until we reached Gwen's small home in the lower town.