𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶-𝔱𝔴𝔬

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

April, 506 AD

I was very rudely awakened by pounding running footsteps outside my room. Letting out a groan, I sat up and rubbed my eyes, then stared at the door, wondering if I should check out whatever was going on or stay asleep.

Suddenly, the door bursted open and was silently closed again. Merlin.

"Hey, what's goin' on?" I asked, my Texan accent making a strong appearance. I turned on my phone's flashlight, allowing me to take a good look at my friend. He was pale and seemed mortified. "Did she kill Utah?" I was instantly concerned. Merlin shook his head and sat at the foot of my bed, head in his hands.

I sighed and moved towards him, hugging him by the shoulders.

"Merls, talk t' me," I begged. He reached up and grabbed one of my hands, playing with my fingers as he tried to compose himself by taking deep breaths. I don't think I'd ever seen him so...out of it. I tilted my head at him. "Morgana was leaving in secret, probably to meet with Morgause. I saw an opportunity and made her trip down the stairs. I was only trying to stop her, but..." he choked on his words as tears formed in his eyes. My own widened. "Is she dead?!" I asked, unable to help the wave of remorse that passed through me. "She might as well be," he replied, then hid his face in his hands again.

I puffed and allowed his words to settle in my brain. Even if she had turned to the dark side, a part of me held hope that we could've pulled her back somehow. If she died, then...well, we'd never know. And the thought sent shivers down my spine. 

Merlin suddenly shot up. "We need to help Gaius. Perhaps there is a way to save her," he said, obviously not at all okay with what had happened. I nodded instantly. "Yeah, we should try. Maybe there's hope for her," I said, my words carrying a double meaning.

So we left my room and rushed down the stairs to Gaius's apartment. Upon entering, we found a stunned Arthur watching helplessly as the physician and Gwen raced around the room, gathering supplies. Morgana laid on a cot, obviously unconscious.

"Children, it is good of you to join us. I need help. I need water and bandages," the physician barely looked at us out of the corner of his eye as he tucked a pillow under Morgana's head. I froze as I noticed the huge gash on the side of her head, reminiscent of a piggy bank. Though I barely caught a glimpse before Gaius covered it with a piece of cloth, trying to stop the bleeding; I still felt the colour drain out of my cheeks.

"Astra!" Merlin's voice snapped me out of my trance. "Help me?" he asked softly. I gulped and went towards him. "Grind this up." The boy handed me a purple flower. I nodded and began doing so, struggling to focus my eyes as the dizziness fought to disable me.

"How could this have happened?" a heartbroken Arthur's voice was what finally pulled me back to my senses fully, my chest clenching at the sound.

"Arthur, I need room here, " Gaius spoke sternly, moving around him as he went to administer the mixture that Merlin had prepared. The Prince looked even more devastated at that. "Yes. Of course. Uh...anything you need, just tell me," he mumbled, then left the room without another word.