xiii ━ main guy

-ˏˋ°•*

THEY took a Taxi, but the car couldn't continue because of a ranger or something- Rebecca wasn't paying much attention.

She was focused trying to figure out what to do in the mountain, and whatever she was feeling about her friends (actually only one of them- it was complicated).

Rebecca had a bad feeling about the whole situation.

The road was hard-packed dirt. No reason at all it should have been soft, but already Rebecca's shoes were starting to sink. Gaea was messing with them.

The view from the mountain was pretty amazing. The whole inland valley around Mount Diablo was a patchwork of towns-grids of tree-lined streets and nice middle-class suburbs, shops, and schools.

All these normal people living normal lives- the kind Rebecca never had.

"That's Concord," Jason said, pointing to the north.
"Walnut Creek below us. To the south, Danville, past those hills. And that way ..." He pointed west, where a ridge of golden hills held back a layer of fog, like the rim of a bowl. "That's the Berkeley Hills. The East Bay. Past that, San Francisco."

Rebecca remembered the last time they had been there together, it didn't really go as planned, it was supposed to be a simple mission.

She grimaced at the memory.

"Jason?" Rebecca touched his arm. "You remember something?"

"Yes ... no." He gave her an anguished look. "It just seems important."

Rebecca wanted to relieve his pain, or something, but that was just because they were kind of friends.

"That's Titan land." Coach Hedge nodded toward the west. "Bad place, Jason. Trust me, this is as close to 'Frisco as we want to get."

Rebecca tried to move her foot, but her boot heels were now completely embedded in the dirt.

"Hey, guys," Rebecca said. "Let's keep moving."

The others noticed the problem.

"Gaea is stronger here," Hedge grumbled.

Rebecca pulled her feet out of the dirt.

"How do we know where the giant is?" Piper asked.

Jason pointed toward the peak. Drifting across the summit was a plume of smoke. From a distance, Rebecca had thought it was a cloud, but it wasn't. Something was burning.

"Smoke equals fire," Jason said. "We'd better hurry."

Rebecca had been a demigod for a good while, she was in good form (even though she had been dead for a good while), but climbing a mountain when the earth was trying to swallow her feet was like jogging on a flypaper treadmill.

Finally Jason crouched behind a wall of rock. He gestured for the others to do the same. Rebecca crawled up next to him. Piper and Leo had to pull Coach Hedge down.

"I don't want to get my outfit dirty!" Hedge complained.

"Shhh!" The brunette said.