xv ━ die with glory

-ˏˋ°•*

SHE rushed to Jason, clutching her weapon with her life.

"The mighty Jason Grace," he taunted. "Yes, we know about you, son of Jupiter. The one who led the assault on Mount Othrys. The one who single-handedly slew the Titan Krios and toppled the black throne."

"What are you talking about?" he asked. He realized his mistake when Enceladus breathed fire.

Encedalus looked at Rebecca. "I've heard of you! You who betrayed our mother!"

Rebecca glared. "I wouldn't want to have you as a brother."

Distracted, Jason moved too slowly. The blast missed him, but heat blistered his back. He slammed into the ground, his clothes smoldering. He was blinded from ash and smoke, choking as he tried to breathe.

Rebecca grabbed him by the collar and dragged him as the giant's spear cleaved the ground between his feet.

Jason managed to stand.

"Lightning," she whispered, while thinking of what to do. "Try to use lightning."

He seemed defeated, "I can't- I have no energy."

They dodged some fire hits from Encedalus. "Then we'll die trying."

Those words seemed familiar to Jason, what he said next was mechanical, "to die with glory."

But Enceladus managed to grab Jason and throw him full force against the ground, Rebecca widened her eyes and tried reaching him.

Slowly, Jason's semi-unconscious body began sinking. She tugged his hand but the earth was sucking him in. The giant was still boasting.

She placed a palm on the earth and another on Jason's heart.

He smiles with his eyes closed, Rebecca knew she had to get him out and fast.

She put all her energy into it, trying to access the soil. She imagined the roots going deep into the underworld, the roots that were tugging Jason down, she then envisioned the roots getting sick and dying.

She could fell the earth slowly letting go of Jason, she tugged his hand harder until his legs were almost entirely visible.

She pulled him up, both catching their breaths.

Then they looked down in the crater and saw where the other end of the hydraulic ax had gone. Enceladus was struggling to rise, an ax blade the size of a washing machine stuck in his breastplate.

They had to help their friends.

He looked at her, his face set, no more golden-retrieve Jason. "To die with glory."

She nodded and tugged him up. "To die with glory."

Amazingly, the giant managed to pull the ax blade free. He yelled in pain and the mountain trembled. Golden ichor soaked the front of his armor, but Enceladus stood.

Shakily, he bent down and retrieved his spear.

"Good try." The giant winced. "But I cannot be beaten."

As they watched, the giant's armor mended itself, and the ichor stopped flowing. Even the cuts on his dragon-scale legs, which Jason had worked so hard to make, were now just pale scars.

Leo ran up to them, saw the giant, and cursed. "What is it with this guy? Die, already!"

"My fate is preordained," Enceladus said. "Giants cannot be killed by gods or heroes."