xvii ━ bon soir baby

-ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

JASON woke up Rebecca, slushy waves of ice went against the windshield. They were inside an ice storm.

Jason crawled forward, grabbing their seats for balance. "We've got to be getting close."

Leo was too busy wrestling with the stick to reply.

Below them, the ground was a dark quilt of trees and fog. The ridge of a hill loomed in front of them and Leo yanked the stick, just clearing the treetops.

"There!" Jason shouted.

A small valley opened up before them, with the murky shape of a building in the middle. Leo aimed the
helicopter straight for it.

All around them were flashes of light that reminded Rebecca of the tracer fire at Midas's compound. Trees cracked and exploded at the edges of the clearing.

Shapes moved through the mist. Combat seemed to be everywhere.

He set down the helicopter in an icy field about fifty yards from the house and killed the engine.

Rebecca was about to breathe in relief when she heard a whistling sound and saw a dark shape hurtling toward them out of the mist.

"Out!" Leo screamed.

They leaped from the helicopter and barely cleared the rotors before a massive BOOM shook the ground, knocking Rebecca off her feet and splattering ice all over her.

She got up shakily and saw that the world's largest snowball—a chunk of snow, ice, and dirt the size of a garage-had completely flattened the helicopter.

She looked up to the sky, and then around, where the wasn't much of anything. What on earth was she doing there? She had already been in a quest, years ago.

"You all right?" Jason and Piper ran up to her.

"Yeah." She shivered.

Leo trailed behind them. "Guess we owe that ranger lady a new helicopter."

Piper pointed south. "Fighting's over there." Then she frowned. "No ... it's all around us."

She was right. The sounds of combat rang across the valley. The snow and mist made it hard to tell for sure, but there seemed to be a circle of fighting all around the Wolf House.

Behind them loomed Jack London's dream home-a massive ruin of red and gray stones and rough-hewn timber beams.

She remembered her time there, she could remember every single detail.

"Jason!" a girl's voice called.

Thalia appeared from the fog, her parka caked with snow. Her bow was in her hand, and her quiver was almost empty. She ran toward them, but made it only a few steps before a six-armed ogre one of the Earthborn—burst out of the storm behind her, a raised club in each hand.

"Look out!" Leo yelled. They rushed to help, but Thalia had it under control. She launched herself into a flip, notching an arrow as she pivoted like a gymnast and landed in a kneeling position.