Vol-2 Chapter 3: Same Old Tale

Inside a simple room with the lesser presence of the eye candy grandiose found in the rest of the palace, sitting on opposite couches, was the Baron with his son, as Sylvia stood behind them, and Alaric looking at them, waiting to see what the man would say.

"Alaric Nyx Lofn... That was your name, right? You were talked big by Cardinal Ark. Rarely have I seen that man talk about anyone, but seeing you now, I understand him. After all, who would not be interested when faced with the spirit of a Trexus? What a marvel, truly." The man smiled as he spoke in the most casual of manners.

(... How?... Did Ark tell him? It's hard to say what that guy's plans are... This is why I hate Future Sight!) Alaric forced a smile on the outside as he found himself troubled on the inside.

"I guess I was just lucky, but if I'm being honest, I would rather cut the chase. After all, small talk will take us nowhere." Alaric pushed the conversation to be more direct.

"Ah to be young, impatience is not a good idea. Then again, I can't expect you to be a great negotiator just because your father dabbles in trade. Especially if you don't have any leverage." Baron Regali replied seeming amused to see the boy's behavior.

"I don't believe that is as pressing as you are making it out to be. As for leverage, I don't need too much when I'm in a sort of state of immunity as a guest. After all, I expect a Baron to be a good host." Alaric responded as he leaned in and looked at the man his forced smile still on.

"Hehehe, quite the attitude. Fair enough, I'll admit, I'm in no position to harm you, not directly that is, accidents happen all the time in such crowded environments like the palace.

"Not that it matters, from the moment I knew you were the person who tried to assassinate my son, my plans in regard to the resolution changed." Baron Regali expressed as he put both hands on his cane, and on his face, a small smile.

This caused the young noble next to him, to look at his father confused as he said. "What do you mean Dad?! We're gonna kill him, right?! He's not gonna get away with this! He can't!"

"Enough! Luscious I brought you here because you need to learn that life isn't as simple as an eye for an eye, if you can get retribution or take revenge great, but you mustn't let that get in the way of your success. Be ready for the enemies of today to be the allies of tomorrow as well as the reverse, especially the reverse." Baron Regali talked to his son, patting the young noble's head as the words left his mouth.

In turn, Luscious found himself focused as he looked at the boy in front of him, conflicted.

"So, you want me to work for you?" Alaric raised an eyebrow at the mere suggestion.

"Well, not something as crude as that. A so-called prodigy like you would not bow their head so easily, especially not in your current position. What I envision is far more beneficial for both sides, in other words, a simple alliance." The Baron spoke not minding the boy's reaction.

"You do realize your son almost r*ped someone dear to me, right? I wouldn't work with you to save my life." Alaric was not impressed much less interested.

"It seems my son is not the only one who needs to learn the lesson of today. I understand your point though, I too would plan the downfall of someone responsible for such acts against one of mine, but what we have at hand goes beyond both of us.

"I'm sure a country child like you has no real understanding of the state of the country or more importantly the state of royal affairs." Baron Regali sighed and glared at his son aggressively before returning to the conversation as if nothing happened.

"Before anything, your son will die by my hands, now do you still want to try and sweet talk me?" Alaric continued to be straightforward forward having no intention of engaging with this.