03 David

David POV.

After smoking two cigarettes, I finally dialed Dannie's number.

Dannie's voice sounds normal as usual, with a hint of relaxed laughter. "It's so late, what are you calling..."

I interrupt her, "Where are you?"

There's silence for 2 seconds on the other end, I hear the sound of the blanket being pulled away, "Um, you want to have sex with me?"

I frown, instinctively wanting to retort. But as the words come to my lips, they suddenly turn into a cold, hard sentence, "You're busy?"

"Uh..." Dannie seems to hesitate, then after a moment she says, "Sorry, I'm out in the mountains to paint."

"Oh? You're not in New York?"

"Right!" Dannie says, "You were abroad a while ago, now I'm in the mountains, and you... you really want to have sex with me?"

I take a deep breath, "Which mountain are you on?"

"Whiteface."

I don't expose her lie, but follow her words, "When will you be back?"

"Ah, I'm not sure about this yet, I'm looking for beautiful scenery, the initial composition alone may take 2 weeks." Dannie pauses, "Sorry, I'll contact you when I'm back."

"So, the last time you stayed up late, calling and texting me, was just to have sex?" I rub my temples with my hand.

"Well, what else?" Dannie chuckles, "I told you, I miss you a bit."

Okay, great.

I hang up the phone and drive straight to the hospital where Dannie is.

The inpatient department is not closed yet, and there are many relatives visiting the general ward area.

I inquire and find out Dannie is in a double room at the end of the corridor.

A young nurse suddenly appears in the corridor, skeptical of my identity. I smile and say I'm her colleague from the gallery.

Then her face blushes, "Are you a painter too?"

"Yeah. I heard Dannie got injured, so I came to see her."

"She's really pitiful, other patients all have familiwa with them, but she's always alone here," the nurse says.

"Her mother?" I ask. I remember she has a mother.

"Her mother isn't in good health, so she didn't tell her about being shot."

I nod, "How is she now?"

"Much better, when she first came, she couldn't move at all, but now she can walk with the help of the wall." The nurse sighs, "Dannie is really strong, and lucky too, she got shot in the leg and waist, but not her vital organs."

I furrow my brows, "When will she probably be discharged?"

"At least two weeks. But even after that, she needs to rest well, can't paint for long periods." The nurse checks the time, "It's getting late, go see her, the inpatient department will close soon."

"Okay, thanks." I smile, waiting for the nurse to leave before returning to Dannie's room.

Through the glass window, I see Dannie eating takeout in bed. After finishing, she wipes her mouth with a tissue, crumples it into a ball, then tries to throw it in the trash. Then she failed. She lifts the blanket, slowly stands up with the help of the bedside table, then bends down awkwardly.

I'm about to push the door open when my phone suddenly vibrates.

I answer the call, then hear the voice of the butler, "Sir, Madam has a fever, we're about to take her to the hospital for treatment!"

I'm stunned, then turn and run.

On the way back home, I see another familiar car coming towards me. I immediately turn around and follow it.

Bella is being taken to the hospital I just went to.

Out of guilt, I want Bella to go to another hospital; but then I realize there's no good reason—this hospital is close to home, and Bella has always been a regular visitor here.

The VIP ward is on the top floor of the surgical building, with a dedicated elevator. I watch the doctors and nurses busy taking care of Bella, but I can't help but see Dannie's figure in the general ward area in my mind.

While Bella is being served to wash up, is Dannie struggling to get to the bathroom?

While Bella is lying in bed chatting with friends and family, is Dannie scrolling through his phone out of boredom?

While Bella is taking the best supplements, is Dannie still eating takeout...

I shake my head vigorously.

I shouldn't think like this, why compare Dannie to Bella?

On Bella's fourth day in the hospital, my friends came to see her after hearing the news.

These friends of mine, unlike Andrew, are people I have known since childhood, from junior high school to college, we were all in the same school.

After chatting for a while and about to leave, Eithan suddenly says, "Hey! Guess what, I got on the wrong elevator today, and on the third floor I realized I couldn't get to the top, so I walked out and took another elevator. Guess who I saw?"

Bella curiously asks, "Who?"

"Dannie!" Eithan slaps his thigh, "It's so strange, I actually ran into her there, do you guys remember her?"

I really want to punch Eithan right now.

The color on Bella's face suddenly fades, and her eyes show shock and fear.

The others look at each other, someone suddenly reacts, "The school babe?"

Eithan says, "Yeah! Her! Haha, life is really amazing, she had such a bad reputation in school, and almost got expelled. I didn't expect her to become a painter now! The internet has no memory, huh!"