10 David

David POV.

After New Year, I go on a business trip to Europe.

During the days when I am away from Bella, I have a regular half-hour video call with her every day, and I also activate the positioning system on my phone so that she can easily see where I am at any time.

I have just finished a long meeting when I hear from Dannie again.

A trending notification about her pops up on my phone screen - "Artist Dannie announces indefinite retirement."

I click in and see that her Twitter account is filled with condolences from fans.

As for the reason for her retirement? She offers no explanation.

I go back to the hotel, loosen my tie, and pour myself a glass of whiskey.

I still have her number. I open the chat box and type: "Are you okay? Why don't you draw anymore?"

My finger hovers over the send button for several minutes.

A proper ex should act as if he is dead. Besides, we weren't even a couple before.

I delete that sentence, drink the entire glass of whiskey, and go to bed.

The next day, I fly back to New York. I don't even have time to adjust to the jet lag before I go straight to the office.

At nine o'clock in the evening, I get home. After dinner with Bella, Andrew calls me and says there is something urgent we need to discuss.

I watch Bella fall asleep, fight back my sleepiness, and drive downtown. Andrew sits at the bar and says seriously: "Did Dannie offend you and Bella?"

The news of my affair with Dannie is kept secret by both our families.

"What?" I ask him calmly.

"To be honest, I've taken a liking to Dannie. She's young, beautiful, and talented. I want to ask her out for coffee, but she keeps saying she was busy. Then, a few days ago, I went to the gallery, and the owner said she's not painting anymore. After some probing, the owner revealed that it was pressure from Bella's family that led to Dannie's contract termination."

Andrew pauses, then says, "I just don't understand. How can an artist like her get into trouble with you?"

I narrow my eyes, "Speak clearly."

"Don't you know?" Andrew frowns, "The news of her retirement is making headlines."

"I know," I say, keeping my expression calm, "she said it's an indefinite break."

"Do you know that no gallery in USA dares to sign her now?" Andrew continues even more angrily, "The gallery owner said that officials from the Ministry of Education and Culture contacted them. Bella's father works there!"

I bite my lip tightly, then listen to Andrew saying, "Now Dannie is gone and not in New York. I sent her a text message but there was no reply. What should I do? My future girlfriend just disappeared..."

Where has she gone?

I'm worried, but I can't show too much surprise. I have to pretend to be calm and listen to Andrew's complaints.

Fortunately, Andrew quickly gets drunk and turns his attention to the two young girls at the next table. I take out my phone, lower my head, and text Dannie on WhatsApp: "Where are you?"

The two gray checkmarks quickly turn blue, indicating that she has read my message.

But she doesn't reply.