05 David

David POV.

The doubts in my heart are increasing gradually.

The harder I try to think, the less I can remember.

I have no memory of Dannie from college, except for her bold move of willingly spreading her legs on the bed.

Men are such stupid creatures, thinking with their lower bodies.

While I despise myself, I keep repeatedly sneaking off to the third-floor ordinary ward.

Dannie's mother heard her daughter was sick and now brings her homemade meals every afternoon. The woman's face is now covered with wrinkles, and her body is very thin, but her clothes are clean and tidy, which shows that Dannie usually takes good care of her.

Today, Bella suddenly asks, "David, have you seen Dannie?"

I'm washing strawberries for her, turning off the tap, and denying, "No, why should I see her?"

Bella chuckles, "Just asking, no big deal. Last time Eithan said Dannie was also hospitalized, downstairs. I thought you might run into her occasionally."

"No," I shake my head, handing her the strawberries, "I'll wash some blueberries for you. They're also fresh."

A few days later, Bella is discharged, and our lives return to normal.

I need to talk with Dannie. Back at the hospital, I stand outside her room, and dial her number again.

It's been two weeks since we last contacted.

Dannie sounds relaxed when she answers the phone, "David."

"Have you finished painting?" I ask.

"not yet."

"When are you coming back?"

"Hmm... I'm not sure either. The weather in the mountains is not good and the scenery is not good either. I'm waiting."

I push open the door to her ward, walk in, continue the conversation over the phone, "How long are you going to lie to me?"

Dannie's eyes suddenly open wide, his face full of surprise and embarrassment.

"No... actually, I... how did you get here?"

I approach her, and sneer, "Dannie, we've met before, right?"

Dannie hesitates, avoiding eye contact, then says, "We're alumni, didn't you know?"

I interrupt her, lowering my voice, "I mean, we know each other."

I emphasized the word "know".

Dannie furrows her brows slightly, then nods, "Well, we had some connections."

I pull up a chair and sit down, "Don't you have anything to say?"

I thought Dannie would be nervous, but she just stares for a moment before smiling at me, "I'm glad you came to see me. But I didn't dare tell you about my injury before because I was afraid you wouldn't want me anymore."

Dannie points to her legs and belly, "I have scars, I can't sleep with you now. So I wanted to hide it from you for a while."

I lift her chin, "Show me."

"What?"

"The scars."

Dannie quickly hugs herself, "Not now, maybe later when I'm discharged."

"Pull up your clothes," I repeat.

"No," Dannie moves back a bit, then suddenly changes the subject, "By the way, you asked me before what benefits I wanted to get from you. I said I'd blackmail you later, and you agreed. Are you still keeping your word?"

This somehow relieved my nervousness.

I nod, "Of course, what do you want?"

Dannie smiles, "Give me some money. My mom is getting old and in poor health. I want her to live comfortably in her later years."

"How much?"

"Whatever."

A few days later, I give Dannie a card and tell her, "Spend it however you like."

When I see Dannie take the card and put it in her wallet, I suddenly feel relieved. I can't quite understand my feelings for her. But since she accepted my money, it means there's only a simple transaction between us - money and body.

Dannie still needs to stay in the hospital for some time. I decide to hire two caregivers for her, to take care of her 24/7.

Dannie refuses, "Don't do that, my colleagues often come to see me."

I sneer, and pinch her chin, "You dare to be a sugarbaby, but don't dare to let people know?"

Dannie smiles awkwardly, "I'm somewhat famous online, I have to pay attention to public opinion, right?"

I don't respond, just gently rub her hair.

Dannie uses the card every now and then, and while I feel relieved, I start masturbating more often at the house where Bella and I live.

My wife is by my side, but I'm thinking about another woman.

This feeling of guilt mixed with pleasure makes me feel twisted.

I can't wait to rush to the hospital and release all my repression on Dannie.

After Dannie is discharged, she continues to recuperate at home. A week later, I call her and say, "How are you doing with your recovery?"

"I'm almost okay now. I can start painting again next week."

"Get ready, a car will come to pick you up later."

"Huh?"

"To the hotel." My tone is cold, "Do what you should do."