04 David

David POV.

"She..." I pause, "Why did she drop out of school?"

"Oh, I forgot you can't remember a lot of things." Eithan suddenly realizes, and lowers his voice, "Actually, it's been so long, everyone's doing pretty well now, so... let's just not bring it up."

Bella's shoulder trembles.

Thinking she's cold, I wrap a coat around her, then turn to Eithan, "What the hell happened?"

"It's not really your fault—" Eithan scratches his head, then stops.

I turn to another person, "Did I bully her?"

"Not exactly... she was wrong from the beginning. Who would have thought a good university student would be a stripper?"

"Well, she's beautiful and smart, and has always been famous in the art department. But after that incident, there were many people discussing her on the campus forums."

She worked as a stripper? The person I asked to investigate her didn't tell me this.

Everything in her college life seemed simple - she was the campus belle in the art department, the winner of the national scholarship every year, and even the winner of the internationally renowned Leonardo da Vinci painting award.

Did someone completely delete her history from the internet?

My memory of college as a whole is hazy, so I can only speculate logically: "I found out she was a stripper and then made it public on campus?"

"No, no. You're not that kind of guy, David," Eithan awkwardly runs his hand through his hair, "Actually, it was at the end of the semester, we all went to the pub. Dannie happened to work there part-time, but she was heavily made up, wearing a wig, so no one recognized her..."

"And then?"

Eithan glances at me, coughs, "Then I don't know what happened, but you recognized her. Later... someone saw you talking to a stripper in the corner, got curious, came over to see. The next day, news spread throughout the school that Dannie was a stripper. "

I furrow my brow.

Eithan feels awkward, touches his nose, "I can only say that you're not responsible for this matter, but it started because of you."

I stay silent for a moment, "And then?"

"She dropped out, but for some reason, she came back later, She attended class quietly and rarely talked to anyone. Then everyone got busy with graduation and finding jobs, gradually no one cared about this anymore." Eithan turns to Bella, "Right?"

Bella doesn't feel cold anymore, she smiles and nods, "Yeah, actually, Dannie is quite pitiful. I heard she's doing well now, I'm happy for her too."

Doing well? She just got shot, lying alone in the hospital.

It's getting late, Eithan and the others chat for a while before leaving.

I escort them out, then go to the terrace to smoke before returning to the ward. There's something heavy on my heart, making it difficult to breathe.

So, I have this past with Dannie. I don't remember it, but Dannie must have.

She remembers it, so why...

I'm feeling agitated when Bella comes out of the ward in the coat. She softly calls out, "David."

I turn around and force a smile, "It's cold outside, why did you come out?"

"It's stuffy in the room, I came out for some fresh air." Bella's expression is calm and gentle, "You seem not very happy, what are you thinking about?"

"I just want you to get better soon," I say insincerely, adjusting her coat collar.

But my thoughts are drifting away.

Put myself in her shoes.

If I were Dannie, would I sleep with someone who indirectly ruined my university career and beg him to fuck me?

Even if I really wanted to get something from this person, even if I didn't have a good family background, I wouldn't.

The overly obedient face of Dannie on the bed flashes in my mind, and a chill runs through my heart.

Did she approach me without asking for any reward, just for revenge?