12 David

David POV.

I have an acquaintance at the customs, so I ask him to check Dannie's entry and exit records first.

Upon learning that she is still in the country, I immediately have someone investigate her specific whereabouts.

Meanwhile, I wait downstairs at Dannie's house. Maybe she's just gone on a trip to relax? Perhaps she'll be back soon.

I sit in the car, smoking, my mind filled with scattered memories. I haven't remembered everything yet, but I know I'm getting closer to the truth. My heart is racing.

What will Dannie say?

Is Dannie the one I lost?

The heart-shaped necklace... is it on Dannie?

I really want to knock on the door, but entering the building requires an access card, so I wait from night until day.

When a gray-haired old lady appears at the building's entrance, I immediately get out of the car and approach her, asking if she knows a woman named Dannie.

"Who are you? What do you want to do?" It's still early, and she looks like she's about to go out to buy groceries, carrying a cloth bag.

"I'm her friend." I say.

The old lady scrutinizes me from head to toe, looking somewhat suspicious.

I know I must look disheveled now. I haven't slept all night, my suit is wrinkled, and I've grown some stubble.

But I quickly add, "I really admire her paintings and wanted to collect her work, so I came to see her."

The old lady's expression softens slightly. "I see. But she doesn't paint anymore."

"That's okay. Could you take me to see her?"

She sighs. "Young man, you're a bit late. Dannie doesn't live here anymore. I'm her landlord, and her house has been rented out to someone else."

I'm stunned. Does she really not want to return to New York?

"Did she tell you where she was going before she left?" I inquire.

"Pennsylvania? But Pennsylvania is so big, you'll have a hard time finding her."

"Thank you." I exhale deeply.

The old lady thinks I'm just upset about her not painting anymore and pats my shoulder. "Young man, artists are whimsical like that. Maybe in a few years, when she's in a better mood, she'll start painting again. Who knows?"

I thank the old lady and sit back in the car, closing my eyes.

I'm exhausted, but my mind remains tense. When my phone suddenly vibrates, I open my eyes right away and see the results of the investigation about Dannie.

"Miss. Dannie is currently in the town of New Hope, Pennsylvania."

He also sent an address.

I realize it's a hospital and quickly make a call, "Why is she in the hospital?"

Complications from the gunshot? I remember her recovery was going well at the time. But some people experience intermittent pain after surgery due to severe tissue damage. Is it because of that?

"Mr. David, I'm sorry. But hospital records are strict, and I can't currently access her medical records."

I transfer him some money and immediately head to the airport.

The hour and a half on the plane feel like an eternity.

I'm worried about Dannie's health, staring anxiously at the clouds outside the window. And in this anxiety, fragments of memories in my mind slowly gather, like clouds forming a whole.