41| Sheilding Her

I sat on my bed, surrounded by my school books and notes, trying to focus on my studies despite the lingering thoughts of Aiden's unsettling presence earlier today

My curls were pulled back into a messy bun, a testament to my long hours of concentration. As I was organizing my papers, a gentle knock on her door interrupted my thoughts.

"Come in," I called out, setting aside her pen and looking up to see my mom entering the room. There was concern etched on her mother's face, mirrored by the worried expression in her eyes.

"Your dad rold me what happened today," she began softly, taking a seat beside me on the bed.

I nodded, my gaze dropping slightly. "Yeah, it was... unexpected."

She reached out, placing a comforting hand on my knee. "I'm sorry you had to go through that, Kie. How are you feeling now, though?"

I let out a sigh, grateful for my moms understanding. "I'm okay, Mom. I'm just a bit shaken up, I guess."

She nods  her expression sympathetic. "I can only imagine. It must have been difficult seeing Aiden again after everything."

I nodded again, my thoughts momentarily drifting back to the painful memories I shared with Aiden. "It brought back a lot of memories, Mom. Ones I'd rather forget."

"I understand," she replied gently. "You don't have to face this alone, Kiara. Your father, me, your brother, and your friends, I'm sure, are also here for you."

I managed a small smile. "I know, Mom. It means a lot."

We sat together in silence for a moment, the weight of the conversation hanging in the air. Finally, I spoke up again.

"I just want to move on from all of this," Kiara admitted, her voice tinged with determination. "It's like everytike. I want to finally have a "normal" life. Something decides to ruin it for me."

When I met my moms eyes, eyes softened with empathy as she gazed at me, my heart aching.

"I know, sweetheart," she replies softly, her voice filled with understanding. "Life can be challenging sometimes, and it's not fair that you've had to deal with so much."

"I just want things to be normal, you know, and not constantly worry about the past coming back to haunt me."

She reaches out a hand, gently brushing a stray curl of hair from my face. "You deserve to have a peaceful life, Kiara. And we'll do everything we can to make sure you feel safe and supported."

"Let's focus on moving forward, okay. We'll take the necessary steps to ensure that Aiden doesn't disrupt you again."

"Okay." I said softly.

She brought me into her embrace, drawing comfort between us.

"You're stronger than you know, Kiara. And you have the power to create the life you deserve." She whispered into my ear.

"I believe that, Mom. And I won't let anything hold me back."

We pull away from each other, and my mom looks at me with a smile before leaning in and planting a kiss onto my forehead, and I find myself leaning into the gesture.

She gently drips her head to mine and says, "If you need to talk or anything, do so, please, Kiara."

I nodded. "Yeah, I will."

"Okay, bye." She said, planting a laat kiss on my forehead before leaving.

I returned to my studies feeling a sense of comfort and strength.

___

My normally easygoing demeanor hardened as I saw Aiden and didn't hesitate to approach him. Nathan and Logan trailed behind me with concerned looks.

Aiden caught off guard by my sudden appearance and assertive tone. He straightened up with a smirk on his face.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Mr. Quarterback himself," Aiden said.

Ignoring his words, I stepped closer to Aiden, my expression serious and unwavering. "Seems like you don't understand what 'stay away from her' means," I began, my voice low and intense.

"I've warned you, Aiden and you don't seem to open you fucking ears and listen. Now, I'm not gonna waste my time hurting you, but I'm gonna say this one more time and the final last time. Stay away from her. I don't want to see you within a foot near her. If you're closer than that, I'll do some damage to every limb in your body."

Aiden's smirk faltered, replaced by a flicker of uncertainty. He glanced nervously at me a determined expression and the stern faces of Logan and Nathan behind him.

"Dude, chill out," Aiden finally responded, attempting to regain his composure.

My eyes narrowed, his patience wearing thin. "I mean it, Aiden. Kiara doesn't want you around, and neither do I. Stay away, or you'll regret it."

Aiden's expression faded further, sensing the seriousness in my threat. He muttered something unintelligible under his breath before giving me a nonchalant nod.

"Fine, whatever," Aiden replied dismissively, his attempt at nonchalance falling flat.

I held Aiden's gaze for a moment longer, ensuring his message had been received, before turning on my heel and walking away with Nathan and Logan at his side.

Once out of earshot, Nathan glanced at me with a mix of admiration and concern. "You really laid it out for him, Gray," he remarked.

Logan nodded in agreement. "Yeah, that guy's been trouble. Kiara deserves better."

I sighed, the tension in my shoulders easing slightly now that I had confronted Aiden. "I just want her to feel safe," I admitted, my thoughts lingering on the effect Aiden's presence had on Kiara the day before.

The rest of the day passed without incident, but I couldn't shake the unease caused by the encounter with Aiden. I kept an eye out for Kiara, wanting to ensure she wasn't being bothered by Aiden.

Later that afternoon, as I was heading to football practice, I spotted Kiara in the hallway. Without hesitation, I approached her with a reassuring smile.

"Hey, Kie," I greeted warmly. "How's your day been?"

Kiara's eyes lit up whwn her eyes met mine. "Hey, Grayson," she replied with a grateful smile.

"It's been okay. Thanks again for yesterday."

My smile widened. "Anytime, Kie. Listen, if you ever need anything or if that guy gives you any more trouble..."

"I know, Grayson. And I appreciate it more than you know."

Out eyes met, a silent understanding passing between them. In that moment, I knew he would do whatever it took to keep her safe and make sure she always had a reason to smile.

__