Chapter 11

"How was riding?"Meilin asks as we walk to the library.

"Fine, we get results tomorrow. How was fencing?"

"We just did some drills, nothing too fun."

Walking inside the library I gasped. This had to be a dream.

"You're a book lover?" Meilin asks

"You could say that..."

Walking up the rows of bookshelves I skim the books spines, waiting to see if anything stuck out.

"Looking for good reads?" I turn to see Amoy walking to us.

"Yup"I say.

"I was just going through the yearbooks, and I noticed your dad in one. I don't need it anymore so you can check it out." She holds out a book and i take it.

"Thanks"

"What book genre do you like, Lauren?"Meilin asks me.

"A little of everything, most of the time mystery and thriller. A few classics."

"I'll show you our amazing mystery section"Amoy started walking away and I followed her.

We walked upstairs, more towards the back. There, there were more present day books that weren't at least thirty to a hundred years old.

In the back a giant sign read: 'Mystery'.

"This is it"Amoy says. "Search away."

I walk up to the shelves and run a finger over the spines as I read. Finally I found one.

"Ready?"Amoy asks. I nod and we walk down the stairs and to the counter.

"Find what you need, Amoy?" An old woman asks, pushing up her glasses.

"Yes, Mrs. Heart."Amoy says.

Mrs. Heart looks at me, her eyes scanning me, "Tory?"

I was taken aback, "no... sorry i'm Lauren."

"Mmhhhhpfff"Mrs. Heart said. "You're new?"

I nod.

She sighs, "You must forgive me, I've been working here for as long as I can remember, i get names mixed up sometimes."

"It's okay."I say.

"We are here to check out books"Amoy gets us back on track.

"Yes, had them over"Mrs. Heart says. We set our books on the counter, and she scans our name tags and the books.

"Three weeks per book, if you want your time extended come to me before the times up. Make sure to return before the due date." She says in a practiced voice as she stamps the dates on a card inside the book.

After we got our books and said goodbye we walked outside to our dorms.

"Lauren?"Meilin asks after we get to our dorm. "Are you okay? You've been quiet since the library."

I nod, "Just thinking."

"What could scare you so much?"

I bite my lip, "Tory... was my mom's name."

What do you guys think? What's your thoughts on the missing girl? About the librarian? And about Tory, Lauren's mom?