Episode Thirteen: Worlds Apart Pt. 2

*Hey guys, we're back with another chapter/episode! This is published on April 9, 2024. If you guys like this episode/chapter, don't forget to vote and comment! That would be greatly appreciated. Warning: Violence, blood, gore, and vulgar language. Enjoy!*

"Husk...Husk...HENRY!!!"

Husk snaps his eyes open with a gasp, finding himself standing in front of the small white house by the edge of the cliff. The waves crashing are the only sounds he can hear at the moment. He holds his head with a small groan and realizes that he can feel his own skin and hair. He glances down to find his own dark skin covered by white splotches coming up to his arms. He finds himself with his beer belly under his bright red and white checkered shirt. His brown belt tightens a hold on his black slacks, which surprises him that he's wearing bright colors. He looks up and sees the small white house.

Somehow, he remembers this house from a long time ago. He makes his way up to the house out of curiosity. He hears wind chimes ringing on the porch, dancing in the gentle breeze. He opens the door and finds the calm colors of green paint along the walls, clothed with porcelain decorations of blue flowers covering them. Next to him, there's a wooden hanger with three hooks to hang the jackets, sweaters, and beanies.

Husk realizes he's wearing the polished brown slip-ons and takes his shoes off. He blinks in surprise to find his feet covered by black socks. As he walks across the wooden floor, he hears someone humming softly. He enters through the small kitchen with clean black and white checkered floors and emerald countertops. He enters the dining room, finding an opened puzzle box on the polished wooden table. His eyes move to find scattered pieces of puzzles piled up by a dark-skinned wrinkle hand of a woman in a purple dress and purple hat that has a feather sticking up.

"Well, hello, stranger," the woman responds with a smile.

"Mom?" Husk utters in recognition. "W-Where am I--?"

"You're home now, Henry," she replies while taking the edges out of the stack of puzzles. "Won't you sit down and help me with this?"

Husk sits down with a brow raised in his human form. "I haven't seen you in years."

"I know. First time in a long while, has it?" she responds with a warm smile. "It's nice to do this again."

"A-Again?" Husk questions. Sudden flashes of his mother leaving the house while his drunk father throws a glass of whiskey enters his mind. He grabs his head with clenched teeth.

His mother watched him get beat up and yelled by his father. He can't remembered why he's yelling at Husk as a child, but the screams are worse than he realize. But his mother did nothing to stop and defend him. It was then, he watched his mother left him with his abusive father. She hadn't returned to him since.

Husk slams his hands on the table, standing straight up with his eyes narrow at her. "Bullshit! You've abandoned me with that asshole! We've never done anything like putting the damn puzzles together! You were gone! You've been out of my life! Why the fuck are you in my head?!"

He watches her go silent. She hasn't flinched from her seat when he slammed his hands on the table or yelled at her. She watches him with a blank stare. He can't tell if she is filled with guilt and regret or confusion.

She frowns and looks down at the puzzle pieces, continuing to take out the edge pieces. "You were left in pieces, haven't you?"

Husk blinks in surprise at her question.

"It's no wonder you became a cat--bird--thing in Hell. Heh, I know cats used to be your favorite animals before I left. You want one, but your father would've killed the poor thing without knowing it. You used to be the newspaper boy, riding on your little bicycle and throwing newspaper at the neighbors' doors. You start working in casinos, which helps grow your love of magic and gambling. You've looked at the bottom of the bottle every day, wondering why you're still alive. You've died of a heart attack once you reach seventy-five, never seeing the Light. You became an overlord at one point, but someone has your soul on a leash. Now, you're in a loving relationship with your boyfriend."