Episode 30

"Beep... Beep..."

As I peacefully slumbered, my phone blared its alarm, jolting me awake. With a groan, I reached for it on the nightstand, my movements sluggish with sleep. Glancing at the screen, I realized it was nearly 7:30, and I had a lecture scheduled for 9.

"Ah, darn it," I muttered, hastily swinging my legs out of bed and making a beeline for the bathroom. Last night, I had arrived home utterly exhausted. Despite it being only midnight, I had spent hours sketching the night sky, trying to capture its essence on paper. By the time I crawled into bed, it was nearly 3 a.m. So, oversleeping seemed almost inevitable at this point... I supposed.

After a brisk shower, I threw on a baggy sweater and jeans, hastily tying my hair into a messy bun atop my head. Grabbing my bag, I headed to the kitchen, craving a caffeine boost to kickstart my day.

Jennifer's outfit : 

As I entered the kitchen, I promptly set my bag down on the counter and began heating water for my morning coffee on the stovetop

As I entered the kitchen, I promptly set my bag down on the counter and began heating water for my morning coffee on the stovetop. Amidst the gentle simmering, my phone buzzed with an incoming call from within my bag. Swiftly, I turned my attention to it, retrieving the phone to check the caller ID. A wide grin spread across my face as I saw who it was, and without hesitation, I answered.

"Morning, Jennie," came the familiar, endearing voice from the other end. It was Adie, enjoying her sleepover night at her beloved Aunt Lexa's house.

"Good morning, sweetie. Did you sleep well?" I inquired softly.

"Yeah, I got plenty of sleep. How about you?" Her tone carried a hint of amusement.

"Fortunately, I managed some rest too, Adie," I replied, stifling a quiet yawn. Before we could delve further into our conversation, another voice chimed in.

"Morning, girls," greeted Lexa, her voice slightly raspy.

"Morning, Lex," I greeted in return, turning my attention back to the brewing coffee as it began to whistle on the stovetop.

"I'll just drop Adie off at school," Lexa announced between bites of breakfast. Without hesitation, I readily agreed, knowing I'd be late if I had to pick Adie up from Lexa's house and take her to school.

"Thanks, Lexa," I chimed in gratefully, taking a satisfying sip of my coffee.

"And, are you free tonight?" Lexa inquired.

"Yes, absolutely," I responded swiftly. Before Lexa could elaborate on her plans, her Aunt May interrupted with a gentle pull on her phone.

"Hello, Jennifer," May greeted with her usual soft tone, evoking a sense of familiarity that I've known since our first meeting.

"Hello, Aunt May. How are you?" I chuckled softly, reciprocating the warmth in her voice.

"I'm well, dear. It's been a while, hasn't it?" May's words stirred up emotions within me, and as I silently savored the comfort of her presence, she continued.