Episode 44

At the church, Sister August is the only person I talk to and spend my time with. Most of my days are consumed by drawing and sketching. Ever since I became an orphan and bad rumors about my family started circulating, I've had no friends at school, nor do I find companionship at the orphanage. Instead, I encounter bullies and children who mock me. Strangely, I feel nothing towards their bullying. It's not fear that keeps me silent; I simply no longer desire the company of others and feel weary of my own life.

However, everything changed on that fateful day...

As usual, I preferred the solitude of drawing or sketching over playing with peers. While the other orphaned children played joyfully in their groups, I would quietly gather my canvas and painting supplies and retreat to the nearby dandelion field. Its serene beauty often stirred a hint of envy within me. Without so much as a glance at the others, I would head towards the field. Once there, I would lay out my materials and lose myself in my artwork. Sister August, recognizing my talent, would often provide me with additional painting tools and supplies. As I focused intently on my painting, I heard faint rustling from the nearby bushes, sending a shiver of apprehension down my spine.

"Who's there?" I demanded, my grip tightening around the large paintbrush with its sturdy wooden handle. With caution, I peered into the bushes, readying myself for whatever might emerge. Before I could react further, a boy came charging out of the foliage, brandishing a stick and screaming like a fool.

"AHHHHHH!" he yelled, barreling toward me. Just as he reached my side, a wild cat darted out from the bushes, causing the commotion that had caught my attention earlier.

"Go Away! ....Shooo!" the boy shouted, waving his stick at the fleeing feline. I watched him in silence, unmoving. Then, he turned to me, his face breaking into a wide smile. "Oh, Hi," he greeted cheerfully. I offered no response, swiftly gathering my belongings and preparing to leave. "Where are you going?" he inquired, matching my age, his glasses perched atop his head, and a mop of wavy brown hair framing his face.

"Back to the church," I replied curtly, avoiding his gaze as I walked away.

"Don't you even say thank you to me?" he interjected, causing me to pause mid-step and turn toward him.

"Thank you," I retorted briskly, then spun on my heel to head back to the church, intending to leave the encounter behind.

"Don't you want to keep drawing?" he persisted, quickening his steps to catch up with me.

"No," I replied tersely, refusing to meet his gaze.

"You can keep drawing. I'll wait right here," he suggested with a hint of amusement, prompting me to halt and turn toward him. However, my sudden movement caused him to stumble and fall to the ground with a pained exclamation.

"Ouch," he winced as I approached him, meeting his eyes with an unyielding expression.

"I don't need anyone to wait for me," I stated firmly, my voice cold and steady. "And stop following me," I added, attempting once more to continue on my way. However, his next words halted me in my tracks.

"I just want to be with you," he declared, causing me to turn back to him with a furrowed brow.

"What?" I questioned, puzzled by his statement. He quickly brushed himself off and straightened his clothes before responding.

"I mean... I just want to be your friend," he clarified, meeting my gaze earnestly.

"What about those guys?" I inquired, gesturing toward the group of children playing together. He frowned subtly before meeting my gaze.

"I'm not interested in befriending them," he admitted, his expression guarded. Curious, I pressed him for an explanation.

"Why?" I asked, seeking understanding.