Episode 43

After days, weeks, and months, and then two years later, I found myself a seven-year-old girl, not only standing on my own two feet but also having to take care of my drunk father. I didn't harbor hatred towards him, not out of love, but rather due to an absence of feelings or attachments to anyone. Everything had faded away over the past two years. Regardless, there he was, stumbling in drunk after work. Yet, at least he hadn't abandoned me like she had. Like my own mother.

But these were just my own musings, and everything changed once again that night.

It was nearing 8 pm, rain pouring heavily outside. My father, Kevin Hal Alison, was unusually late this evening. I assumed he was delayed because he was likely drinking at the bar or engaging in something else I preferred not to dwell on. While sketching in a book I had received from James, who had now become a traitor, I heard a knock at our door. My brow furrowed at the thought; my father seldom knocked at this late hour. He always had his key and let himself in. Lost in my thoughts, I was startled by another loud knock at the door. I cautiously descended the stairs, making my way to the door. Before I could reach it, I heard the voices of two men from outside.

"Is anyone in here?" the man's voice echoed through the door, causing me to step back in fear. But as soon as I heard his next statement, my fear evaporated.

"We are the police. Is anyone here?" he repeated, knocking once more. Gathering my courage, I walked back towards the door and grasped the doorknob, pulling it open. Two policemen stood before me, one poised to knock again until he spotted my figure in the doorway. They were clad in rainproof suits with hats shielding their faces from the downpour.

"Oh, hello there," one of the officers greeted with a slight smile.

"Hello," I replied in a whisper, meeting his gaze.

"Is this Mr. Alison's house?" he inquired once more. I nodded in affirmation.

"Yes, this is Mr. Alison, my father's house," I replied softly. As I spoke to them, a surge of curiosity and concern washed over me, which I concealed beneath a veneer of cold composure and whispered tones.

"Is there your mommy..." the officer began, but I swiftly interjected.

"We don't have a mom," I replied, keeping my gaze fixed on him. "She left us a long time ago, and we've been living alone," I added, causing them to exchange a glance. Their silent communication hinted at something concerning regarding my father. After a few moments of shared silence, one of the officers knelt down, offering me a soft smile. Despite his attempt to reassure me, I sensed an underlying tension.

"What's your name, kid?" he asked gently.

"I'm Jennifer. Jennifer Alison," I responded, receiving a nod of acknowledgment.

"I'm Officer Steve Butler, but you can call me Officer Steve," he introduced himself, meeting my eyes. "We're here to give you some information about your father," he paused, ensuring I was paying close attention before continuing. "It's... it's a..." he paused, searching for the right words. It was evident he struggled to convey the news delicately. "It's... your father, Mr. Kevin, was involved in a tragic accident that took his life. That's why we're here, to inform you of his passing," he explained with a softened tone. As soon as he finished, I had a question for him.

"How did he die?" I asked, my voice devoid of emotion.

"He was... he was drunk and hit by a truck," Officer Steve replied. I remained motionless, my gaze fixed on him as I felt my insides crumbling. Initially meeting my stare, he quickly averted his eyes, unable to bear the weight of the emotions emanating from my gaze.

"Do you have any relatives or anyone to call?" he inquired. Without hesitation, I shook my head.

"I don't have anyone except him," I added. Their silence spoke volumes of shared sorrow as they exchanged glances. Slowly, Officer Steve nodded and rose from his kneeling position, resuming the conversation.