Episode 45

After days, months, and years passed, Chris and I developed a close friendship spanning nearly 6 years. He wasn't just a best friend; he became an integral part of my life. We attended school together, studied together, and shared experiences. I taught him how to draw and paint, while he showed me the ropes of riding a bike. We even accompanied Sister August to the market and shared a room with bunk beds, making him my roommate as well.

However, our bond was unexpectedly severed when Chris was adopted by a random family.

As he emerged from the church hall after meeting his new family, I waited for him outside the room. He walked out with his head down, and I couldn't help but inquire about his well-being.

"What's going on, Chris? Are you okay with the adoption?" I asked, gently shaking his shoulder. He remained silent, avoiding eye contact. "Chris, please, tell me," I urged him.

Finally, he looked up at me and replied.

"I've been adopted," he replied. His words were like a bittersweet melody, simultaneously bringing joy and breaking my heart into countless fragments. Despite the turmoil inside me, I forced a wide smile onto my face and echoed his sentiment.

"That's wonderful news, Chris! I'm genuinely happy for you," I responded, masking my sadness behind a veil of cheerfulness. Behind his glasses, I saw tears welling up in his eyes as he posed a question I couldn't truthfully answer.

"Are you truly happy about my adoption?" he asked softly, a small sob escaping his lips. I couldn't bring myself to respond, grappling with my conflicting emotions. Before I could gather my thoughts, Sister August's voice echoed from a distance, interrupting our conversation.

"Christopher, it's time to pack your things," Sister August called out to him.

"I think you should go now," I added softly, averting my gaze. With a slight nod, he dashed towards Sister August without looking back at me. All I could do was watch him vanish from sight, accompanied by Sister August. As I wandered through the vast corridors, the same haunting question echoed in my mind: "Why do people always leave once they become important to me? "Why can't I be the one?" I murmured to myself, tears blurring my vision as I mechanically navigated the labyrinthine halls. Lost in my sorrowful thoughts, I was snapped back to reality by Sister August calling my name.

"Jennie!" Sister August's voice called out from behind me, prompting me to swiftly turn towards her.

"Yeah, Sister?" I responded, hastily wiping away the tears streaking down my cheeks. She took a deep breath, clearly exhausted from her endeavors.

"He's waiting," she paused, locking eyes with me. "Chris is waiting for you to bid farewell. He's standing by the main door now," she added, gesturing towards the entrance. "I think you should go, Jennie," she reiterated gently.

Tears continued to stream down my cheeks at her words. Without a moment's hesitation, I bolted towards the main door, fueled by determination. Every ounce of strength in my legs propelled me forward until I reached the familiar figure standing in front of the door, awaiting my arrival. Pausing my steps, I approached Chris slowly, finding him standing before the couple who had decided to adopt him. As soon as he caught sight of me, he moved towards me, mirroring my movement.

"I got to..." Chris began, but before he could finish his sentence, I swiftly enveloped him in a tight hug, feeling his arms wrap around me in return.

"I will always remember you, Chris," I whispered softly as I held him close, resting my head on his shoulder.

"I will never forget you too, Jen... I promise," he replied, his voice filled with emotion, echoing amidst our embrace. Reluctantly, we stepped back by breaking the hug.