Episode 47

"How did you get here?" I inquired as I released him from the hug.

"It's a long story, but I'll fill you in later. For now, let's head inside. Sister August is waiting for us," he said, gently tugging my hand. "Come on," he urged, and together we briskly entered the church. Upon reaching the hall where Sister August was conversing with other sisters, Chris called out.

"Sister August!" Chris exclaimed, rushing towards her while still holding my hand.

"Hello, Christopher," Sister August greeted swiftly and turning towards me with a wide grin. "And hello to you too, Jennie," she added with a small wink, which left me feeling a tad awkward in Chris's presence.

"Welcome back to California, Chris," Sister August added, affectionately patting his head. Confused by her words, I began to form a question in my mind.

"Are you back in California?" I asked him, prompting him to turn and look at me. Slowly, he nodded which deepening my confusion. Although I was thrilled at the prospect of Chris returning to California, the lack of details left me uneasy. I sensed that something had transpired involving Chris and his new adoptive family.

"Why?" I asked him softly, eliciting a soft sigh of exhaustion before he answered my question.

"After I was adopted by my new family, everything was great for a few months, maybe nearly a year. But suddenly, everything changed. My parents started fighting a lot. After about a year, they decided to divorce, and... my mom decided to move out of the house and back here. That's why I'm here now," he explained, a small smile appearing on his face.

"Oh, Chris, I'm so sorry..." I quickly interjected as he finished speaking. He shook his head swiftly and looked at me.

"It's okay, Jen... you don't have to apologize," he said, giving me a small side hug. "And guess what..." he paused, making me look up into his eyes. "We can be together again," he added with a huge grin, swiftly pulling me along as he ran away, leaving Sister August behind us.

"We won't be late before the sun goes down, Sister!" he called out loudly to Sister August before whisking me away, prompting her to let out a small giggle.

"Where are you going?" I asked him as we stepped out of the church, hand in hand.

"Somewhere only we know," he replied, turning his head slightly towards me, prompting soft giggles to escape both of us as we continued running towards the field of dandelions ,our first meeting place and the only spot known exclusively to us. We dashed through the sea of dandelions until we reached our familiar spot, where we swiftly lay down side by side.

"I really missed this place," he said, taking a deep breath, which caused me to giggle softly.

"Why are you laughing?" he asked, turning to look at me.

"Oh, I just remembered our first meeting in this place," I replied swiftly, joining in his chuckles.

"Yeah, you were so mean at first," he added, and I chuckled along with him. As I gazed up at the clear blue sky, I could feel his eyes on me without needing to turn towards him. Then, he posed a question that sent a flutter through me, causing something to bubble in my stomach.

"Do you miss me?" he asked softly, prompting me to slowly turn towards him and meet his deep brown eyes. He had transformed entirely, no longer the quirky eight-year-old boy. Now, he possessed brown wavy hair, a fully grown body figure, and a charming facial structure perfectly complemented by his glasses. As I carefully observed him, he did the same to me.

"You've become really handsome," I added with a smile, letting out soft chuckles at him.

"You've also become truly beautiful," he replied, joining in with me. "Do you miss me after all these years?" he asked again, locking eyes with me.