Episode 48

I heard a loud banging on my door while I lay on the floor amidst a chaotic scene. The room was strewn with canvas, broken pieces of vase, paint cans—some full, some empty—and numerous torn papers scattered about. Despite the cacophony of knocks growing louder and more persistent, I let out a heavy sigh, resting my forearm on my forehead.

Eventually, amidst the relentless knocking, a voice called out from beyond the door.

"I know you're in there, Hal," the voice paused between knocks. "Open up...come on." It was Selena, standing on the other side, her persistence evident in the rhythmic pounding of her fist against the door. Reluctantly, I swung the door open, meeting her gaze as she muttered a quiet expletive upon seeing my disheveled state.

"What do you want, Selena?" I asked, rubbing my brows wearily under my breath.

"You look like a mess, Hal," she remarked, nudging past me into the house. She was right, I was a mess, and it had been over five months since the explosive argument with Chris, perhaps even longer since our breakup. Selena made her way towards the living room, and I followed suit, closing the door behind me. Before settling onto the couch, she cast a disappointed glance around the room, sighing audibly.

"This isn't how you're supposed to be," she stated, turning her gaze back to me.

"So, what are you expecting from me?" I inquired as I quickly settled onto the small sofa, resting my head against its back.

"Is this your decision? Is this what you want? This bloody mess? Is that why you've been avoiding your usual haunts?" Selena's disappointment seeped through her words, irritating me slightly, though deep down, I knew she was speaking the truth.

"You were nearly at the top, Hal, and now you've plummeted to the ground," she continued, taking a seat on the couch opposite me. Even without opening my eyes, I could sense her disappointment in me and my circumstances. Selena was a friend from college, not particularly close, but willing to lend a hand with my paintings. As my fame grew in California, she almost became like a personal assistant. She let out a heavy sigh before posing a question.

"What's your plan now?" she asked. Without looking at her, I simply shook my head, keeping my eyes closed.

"I still don't know, Selena," I replied.

"Damn it, Hal!" she cursed, abruptly standing from the couch, causing me to crack my eyes open slightly. "Stop with the 'I don't know' routine. I already know that!" she yelled in frustration.

"What do you know?" I swiftly shot back as she finished her tirade. "If you already know, then why are you asking me?" I said in a cold tone, meeting her gaze directly.

"YES!" she shouted again, her frustration boiling over. "I KNEW EVERYTHING FROM THE VERY BEGINNING. I KNEW THAT STUPID CHRISTOPHER WAS GOING TO CHEAT ON YOU, AND I KNEW YOU WOULDN'T GO TO THAT LOUNGE, AND I ALSO KNEW THAT YOU WOULD JUST LET EVERYTHING GO BECAUSE OF THAT MAN!" she yelled, jabbing a finger accusingly at me.

"Oh, come on," I groaned, standing up from my sofa and attempting to walk away from her, back toward my workshop room.

"Stop walking away from me, Jennifer!" she called out from behind me, causing me to pause in my steps. "Why are you doing this to yourself, huh? Why..." Before she could finish her sentence, I interrupted.

"Because he was my everything," I answered, turning toward her. "Because he meant everything to me, and... all of this started because of him," I added, trying to contain the tears welling in my chest. "You're right, Selena... you were right," I paused, wiping away tears from my cheek. "I didn't know what you already knew, and I didn't heed your warnings. I know I was wrong, and I still know I'm wrong," I said, my voice cracking. "But... he was my everything, Selena... and you know it, I know it, and everyone knows it," I added. Before I could finish my sentence, she clenched her fists in frustration.