Episode 38

As I entered the garage, I narrowly avoided colliding with Seb as he hurriedly stepped out at the same time.

"Almost missed bumping into you there," he remarked. "I was just about to come looking for you. Thought maybe you'd taken a wrong turn in the paddock," he added, a playful tone in his voice that elicited a chuckle from me.

"Thanks for the concern, Seb, but I'm not exactly five years old," I teased in return.

"True, but this is your first time in the paddock, isn't it?" he quipped, raising his eyebrows mischievously. I responded with a narrowed gaze, matching his playful demeanor. His eyes then shifted to my Ferrari team jacket. "Looks like you haven't lost your way, though," he remarked as we both made our way into the garage. I quickly scanned the area, hoping to spot Charles, but it seemed he was busy preparing for the race.

"Instead of getting lost, it seems you've gained a new Ferrari jacket," Seb continued with a grin. "Can't blame you though, like I always say, 'Everybody's a Ferrari fan'," he chuckled, and I joined in, sharing his amusement.

"Maybe...but I got this from Charles and ...there's a long story behind why I've been late," I explained, meeting Seb's gaze as he frowned slightly, his attention focused on me.

"Charles gave it to you?" he inquired in his distinct German accent. I simply nodded in confirmation, opting not to elaborate further. As we engaged in our small conversation, Charles emerged from behind us, playfully grabbing Seb's shoulder.

"Hey, man!" Seb greeted him swiftly with a smirk, while Charles directed a soft-eyed smile towards me, to which I responded in kind. Seb seemed to catch on quickly, redirecting the conversation by playfully tugging on Charles's shoulder.

"So, you gave your jacket to this lady? ...why?" he teased, squeezing Charles's shoulder. "Trying to mark your territory like 'She is mine...bla bla'?" Seb added with a chuckle, catching me off guard as Charles joined in with laughter.

"You never change, man," Charles remarked, rolling his eyes. Without missing a beat, he shifted the conversation. "By the way, how do you guys know each other?" he asked, glancing between Seb and me.

"I came here for..." I began, but before I could finish, Seb interjected smoothly.

"As you already know, I'm doing the Bee Campaign, right?" he said, catching Charles's attention as he nodded, still wearing his earphones in preparation for the race. "So, as Lewis introduced, I've known Jennifer as my volunteer, and she came here for a pre-interview or...something like that," Seb added, with me nodding in agreement. Charles, upon hearing the conversation, furrowed his brow in confusion and turned to me directly.

"You came here with Lewis?" he asked, prompting a moment of confusion for me. After a brief pause and a shared glance with Seb, I composed my response.

"Um, yeah...Lewis brought me here to meet Seb," I answered quickly, noticing a faint sigh and a disappointed expression, though obscured by the white balaclava Charles was putting on his head.

"What about when you leave? Need a ride back?" he inquired, meeting my gaze.

"I don't know," I replied, shrugging my shoulders uncertainly.

"I can send her back if you want," Seb chimed in, joining the conversation with a grin.

"Not a bad option, really," Charles commented before striding towards his racing car, leaving Seb and me behind. Charles had shed his team shirt and jeans, now clad in his red Ferrari racing suit adorned with his number '16' on the back, helmet in hand. As he neared his car, he shot me a quick glance and a small smile before donning his helmet and swiftly settling into the driver's seat. With a roar, he maneuvered the car out of the garage and into the grid lane.

"What's up with him?" I asked, still gazing outward where Charles's car had just departed, not bothering to look at Seb who had sidled up beside me, hands on his hips.

"I don't know," Seb replied, his gaze fixed in the same direction. "How can outsiders know when a boyfriend and girlfriend are mad at each other? Only they know better than anyone else," he added, giving my shoulder a soft pat as I frowned at his words. "Come on...let's watch the race," he suggested, gesturing towards the team.

"But I'm not his girlfriend," I muttered with a frown before reluctantly following him.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the thrilling world of Formula 1 racing! We're here at the Silverstone Circuit for what promises to be an electrifying race day," the announcer's voice echoed through the microphone for the live stream.

Put this on," Seb instructed, handing me a red headphone adorned with the Ferrari logo. Without a word, I complied, swiftly slipping it over my ears. After a few minutes of introductions, analysis, and the announcement of pole positions by the announcer, the race finally commenced.

"And the lights are out! We're underway here at Silverstone! Max Verstappen gets a great start from pole position, but Carlos Sainz is hot on his heels!" the announcer's voice boomed as the race kicked off, with the cars speeding against each other on the track. Charles, starting at P5, was among them.

"Good luck, Charles," I murmured silently to myself, offering a soft smile as I spotted his red Ferrari racing car with his number '16' prominently displayed. Seb and I remained glued to the TV screen throughout the race, not only watching but also engaging in Seb's patient explanations of Formula 1 and race dynamics. He really explains me patiently as I explain my Art Lectures to my students.

As we followed the action on the screen, a car spun out during the race.

"Oh, we've got drama! Esteban Ocon has spun out at Turn 7! That's a costly mistake from the championship contender," one announcer exclaimed. "And look at this! The safety car has been deployed, bunching up the field and completely changing the complexion of the race," another announcer added, signaling a shift in the dynamics of the race.

"Is he okay?" Seb inquired, turning to one of the staff members nearby.

"Yeah, they said he's fine," the staff member replied promptly. With reassurance given, the race continued unabated until it gradually approached its conclusion.

"And there it is! The chequered flag waves, and Max Verstappen takes the win here at Silverstone," the announcer declared, signaling the end of the race. Max claimed the P1 position, with Charles and Lando securing P2 and P3, respectively, for today's race. Seb and other team members exchanged handshakes in celebration of Charles's second-place finish, while I beamed proudly at the screen displaying Charles's achievement.

As I watched the screen, I noticed a driver entering the garage—it was none other than Charles Leclerc, who had secured P2. The team members rushed towards him, engulfing him in celebration. Seb joined in, offering Charles a congratulatory hug and pat on the back.

"Good job, mate," Seb exclaimed, his smile wide with pride.

"Thanks, Seb," Charles responded, returning the hug before turning his attention directly towards me. A broad smile lit up his face, visible even beneath his white balaclava, as he approached me. He began to remove his balaclava and earphones as he took a few steps closer, pausing a short distance away from me.

"Congrats for P2," I said, beaming brightly as our gazes locked.

"Thanks," he replied swiftly, his smile widening and causing his dimples to appear perfectly on his cheeks. In that moment, a rush of butterflies fluttered in my stomach for the second time.

As they gazed into each other's souls through their eyes, a profound silence enveloped them, transcending the jubilant celebrations and lively conversations swirling around them. Amidst the noise, their shared gaze transported them to a serene place where only the rhythm of their heartbeats and the essence of love prevailed.

In that moment, Charles couldn't help but yearn to pull her into a tight embrace to celebrate his achievement. Yet, he resisted the urge, composed himself, and instead contented himself with simply admiring her presence in his garage, clad in his Ferrari team jacket.