78 | i see the resemblance

S3 E2

S3 E2

i am a tree

MADDISON KNOCKS ON THE open door to Liam's room.

"Oh, thank God." Liam calls out. "I am getting suffocated here!"

"What?" Irene asks, innocently. "I was just updating you about my book club's progress."

"You know I hate the book club, mom." Liam narrows his eyes at her. "Even you hate your book club. The only reason you go there is to get the gossip. You just tell me about the book club because you know I hate the book club."

"And, I just love to hear about gall bladders and kidneys at my dinner table." Irene replies, giving him a look.

"Please, talk to me about anything else." Liam pleads, and Maddison smile at him.

"Sorry, but I am here to take your mom for coffee." Maddison tells him, amused.

"Oh, fantastic!" Irene grabs her bag. "We'll get scones! My treat!"

"You're going to leave me here all alone?" Liam asks the two.

"Yes?" The two woman replies.

"I'm injured!" Liam tells them, in disbelief.

"Oh, please dear." Irene tells him. "Don't you think you've used that card enough?"

"You both are horrible people." Liam tells them, as they link arms and walk out.

"Tell me all the gossip that's happening in here." Irene tells the intern, making her laugh.

"Oh, I see the resemblance." Maddison chuckles.

"AS YOU KNOW, I'm sure, he graduated first in his class from Tulane." Mrs. Burke tells Cristina, as they both sit in the outside cafeteria, having coffee.

Beside them on the next table sat another pair, in a similar situation, but also very different. Irene and Maddison exchange a look, sipping their coffees.

"I... I did know that." Cristina replies, a little confused. "Actually, I graduated first in my class at Stanford."

"Ah. So you are planning to pursue a less time consuming specialty?" Mrs. Burke asks the intern. "Obstetrics perhaps? Or family medicine?"