Chapter 3

• Carter •

"I'm going out!" I call as I saunter to the front door.

Aunt Marci appears in the kitchen's entrance, a frown on her face. "You're not going out again. We already worried enough."

I pout. "C'mon, Aunt M! I already made plans. Besides, I'll be totally safe."

Aunt Marci heaves a sigh. "Fine. Keep your phone on you." She pauses. "Don't do anything stupid."

I roll my eyes. "I'm not three years old anymore."

I hear a car beep outside.

I grin. "See ya late, Aunt M." I wave goodbye and exit the house. Justin's limo is parked up front, the front window rolled down to reveal Jeff.

"Nice to see you again, Miss Gray." He greets me. "Where too?"

I walk over and whisper my destination into his ear. He nods with a smile and begins to get out of the limo.

"It's ok," I tell him. "I'm not royalty." I give him a smile as he setttles back into his seat. I pry open the back door myself and slide inside.

Justin's there, his head propped against the cold, tinted window. He doesn't look over at me or say anything. He simply stares out into nothing.

"What's wrong?" I ask him, breaking the silence.

"I'm fine." He mutters, still not bothering to look at me.

I frown. "You can trust me."

"I said I'm fine. Stay out of my business." He snaps.

I purse my lips and shrink down in my seat. Something's obviously wrong with him. I was curious but I decided to let it go for now. Maybe he needed a little space.

I glanced around the large, silent limo. Any movement I made caused the seat to squeak beneath me. I noticed a mini fridge in the corner. A guitar stood beside it, leaning on it's edge.

I carefully slide over and grasp the guitar's neck between my fingers. It's cold as if it hasn't been touched in a while. Mia plays guitar so I know a little bit from what she's told me. I position the guitar ontop of me, resembling Mia. I form a G chord with my fingers and strum softly, the sound echoing throughout the limo. I smile to myself and strum again. I keep strumming, the sound somehow peaceful. I move my fingers around, not knowing anymore chords. It still sounded decent. I closed my eyes and focused on the sound I was creating. It vibrated through me, soaking into my skin.

Suddenly the limo came to a rough stop and I lost hold of the guitar. It tumbled forward and onto the limo's floor.

Someone chuckles.

I look over at Justin. He's staring at me, a smirk on his lips.

"You sounded pretty good...until now, at least." He chuckles again.

I throw him a playful scowl. "Shut up."

He slides over to me and picks the guitar off the floor. "Besides, you weren't even hitting the right chords."

He positions the guitar and forms an unfamiliar chord with his fingers. "You've got to become the music." He strums the chord. It was probably the most beautiful sound I ever heard. He keeps on strumming and I feel myself falling into the music.

"...Your world is my world. And my fight is your fight. And my breath is your breath. When you're hurt..." He's singing. his voice startles me but I close my eyes and let it soak in. It's even more beautiful than the sound of his strumming. It's unique. It's soft and even gentle.