Chapter 34

• Carter •

I'm nervously tapping my index finger against my thigh as Justin drives to the hospital. I can barely speak, much less cry.

Aunt Marci? A car accident? I shake my head and lean it against the cold window. She had to be ok. Justin said he didn't know the exact details. Cale had called him and had only said she had gotten in a car accident. Not knowing anything else caused me to because a nervous wreck. What if she was seriously hurt?

"Calm down, Cart." Justin tells me, breaking the silence. "She's going to be ok."

"How do you know?" I snap and through him an apologetic look for being so harsh.

He flashes me a reassuring smile. "I just know."

I sigh and stay silent, watching the passing cars. We arrive at the hospital in no time. Justin hasn't even stopped the engine and I'm ready running across the parking lot.

"Carter, slow down!" He orders, slamming the door shut and locking the car before running after me.

I ignore him, not slowing down. In fact, I only increased my speed.

"Geez, Carter!" I hear him say and suddenly his warm hand is around my wrist, pulling me back. "It's all going to be ok."

I nod and he uses his thumb to wipe away a tear that must have escaped.

"Let's go." He tells me, kissing my forehead and leading me towards the hospital's front door.

We step inside and walk over to the lady at the front desk. She seemed to be in her early thirties with red hair and green eyes. The minute she sees us, she looks up from her computer.

"How may I help you?" She smiles.

"We're here to see Marcela Hayes." I blurt. "I'm her niece."

The lady nods and looks down at some papers, letting eyes scan over them before looking back up. She points down a hall.

"She's down the hall on room 14." She informs us.

Justin nods a quick thank you as I grab his hand and begin pulling him towards the direction of room 14. I quickly spot it, running over and prying the door open without hesitation.

"Aunt Marci?!"

"Carter?" Her voice says, surprised.

She lying on the hospital bed, a surprised look on her face. From what I could see, she looked...fine. She looked fine. I heaved a sigh of relief and walk over to her.

"Are you ok?" I ask her. "What happened?"

She takes my hand and squeezes it. "I'm fine, Sweetheart. Just a little bruised and sore. Some lady was texting and driving and didn't see the light change. She drove right into the passenger side of the car. Luckily, it's the car that was severely damaged. Not me. The lady, on the other hand," She sighs. "She's in a coma."

"That's terrible!" I exclaim. "But I'm glad that you are ok. I don't know what I would have done if you weren't."

Aunt Marci smiles. "I'm glad you care, Cart."

I feel Justin drape both his arms around me, resting his head on my shoulder.

"She freaked when I told her." He informs Aunt Marci.

Aunt Marci chuckles. "I can imagine." She looks between us. "How did y'all sleep?"

"Like a baby." Justin jokes, kissing my cheek.

I feel myself blush, but I try to hide it. "It was a calm night," I tell my Aunt. "I kinda needed the escape. I feel like...like everything's finally coming together."