Chapter 6

*Carter*

I woke up in a hospital bed, my vision blurry. I spotted a similar figure pacing back and forth in front of the bed. Once my vision cleared, I realized it was Justin. Earlier events begin to flash through my mind.

I purse my lips and sit up. “What are you doing here?”

His eyes widen when he sees me. He quickly staggers over, his arms wrapping themselves around me in a tight hug. “Thank god you’re ok.”

I crinkle my forehead. “What happened?”

Justin sighs and lets go of me. “I really don’t know. Dr.Appleton should be back with the results.”

I nod slowly and look down at my hands, examining nothing in particular. “What happened at the carnival, Justin?” I decide to ask him. “Why did you run away from me?” 

He covers his face with his hands and groans. “I don’t know.”

I frown. “Justin-“

“I know.” He heaves a sigh.  “I think…I think I should just tell you.”

I nod in agreement. “Yes, you should.”

“Well,” Justin runs a nervous hand though his hair. “It started with a girl-“

“Carter Gray?” A doctor bursts into the room interrupting Justin. His hair is dark and cut short and I can tell from the look on his face that he’s been working all day.

“I’m Dr.Appleton.” He reaches out and shakes my hand.

“What’s wrong with her?” Justin blurts.

Dr.Appleton ignores his and flashes me a smile. “You’ll be fine, Carter. Just make sure to drink plenty of water. You fainted due to dehydration.”

“Want me to buy you a bottle of water from a vending machine?” Justin offers.

I smile. “Sure. Thanks, Justin.”

Justin smiles back and scurries out of the room. Dr.Appleton looks at me curiously.

“You’ve got a nice boyfriend.” He comments.

I gape. “He’s not my boyfriend!”

“Really?” Dr.Appleton chuckles. “Because I asked him earlier is he would like to wait outside while I checked up his girlfriend and he didn’t correct me, though he did blush.”

I laugh nervously. “Well, we’re not… he’s not…” I bite my lip. “We’re just friends.”

“I see.” The doctor mumbles unbelievably.

“Is that it?” I change the subject. “Was I just dehydrated?”

“Yes,” Dr.Appleton nods. “You’re lucky you didn’t inherit your mother’s HIV. It could have been worst.”

My eyes widen. “What? HIV? My mother didn’t…”

“You don’t know?” Dr.Appleton frowns. “It’s all over both your and your mother’s medical files. She had HIV, also known as AIDs. She caught it after your birth from-“ He pauses. “Maybe I shouldn’t be telling you this. If you don’t know, it’s probably because she didn’t want you to know.”

“I have the right to know!” I argue. “She was my mother! How did she catch HIV?”

Dr.Appleton shakes his head back and forth. “Carter…”

“Got the water.” Justin bursts into the room, a bottle of water clutched between his fingers. He walks over to me while looking curiously between me and Dr.Appleton, obviously feeling the tension.