Chapter 30

• Carter •

"Carter, did your Aunt Marci ever happen to have a daughter?"

My eyes widen as I stare back at Justin. "What are you talking about?"

Justin gently takes my arm and pulls me closer, his lips brushing against my ear. "I found this photograph-" He begins but I cut him off.

"Not here." I take his hand and lead him outside, leaving Cale and Selena alone.

Once in the parking lot, I turn to face Justin.

"What photograph did you find?"

He sighs. "Your sister has this photograph. I thought it was just her...but..." He runs a hand through his hair. "It was a picture of your Aunt back in the day. Mia and her... They look exactly alike."

I don't know what to say, so I just blink. Speechless. How is it possible that Mia looks just like Aunt Marci? Aunt Marci says Mia might had been adopted and I have no knowledge of Aunt Marci ever having or losing a baby.

"I'm gonna go talk to her." I blurt, referring to Aunt Marci. I begin to head towards Selena's car when Justin grabs my arm, pulling me back.

"That's Selena's car. You don't have a ride and I'm sure Cale and Selena don't want to leave just yet." Justin points of matter-of-factly.

I frown. "Well, them I'll guess I'll call a cab." I say, slipping my cellphone out of my pocket.

Justin heaves a sigh. "It doesn't all have to be rushed, Cart. You can find out tomorrow."

"But I don't want too." My voice comes out a little more sternly than I intend it too. "I need to now." I slammed my phone to my ear, already having the cab company on speed dial.

Justin doesn't say anything. I can tell by the look on his face that he isn't too proud of my current actions. I ignore it.

"I need a cab." I say the minute a man picks up the phone. I give him the address and he tells me he'll send a cab right over. I hang up and turn away from Justin, staring out at the street with thousands of thoughts running through my head.

"You're too impatient, Cart." Justin breaks the silence. "But I can go with you if you want-"

"No," I snap. "This is my problem."

"Our problem." He repeats for the second time today. "I'm not letting you go through this alone."

"You're leaving tomorrow. I'm going through it alone anyways." I inform his sourly.

He's silent for a while before speaking again.

"I don't want to go and I wouldn't if you didn't want me too. But if you do, then I guess I have no reason to stay here."

I don't respond and I hear him turn and walk away towards the bowling alley, the sound of his shoes faintly disappearing.

I feel a tear roll down my cheek and I catch it with my index finger, roughly brushing it away.

My life is falling apart piece by piece.

And I don't know what to do to stop it.

• • •

The cab drops me off and I make my way into the house, findin my Aunt asleep by the tv. She looks innocent and peaceful, unaware of the world around her.

I walk over and take a seat beside her, gently shaking her shoulder. She stirs, her eyes inching open.

"Carter?" She yawns and sits up, rubbing at her eyes. Her brown hair is messed up and she looks tired.