Chapter 13

• Carter •

I'm standing next to the front door, absentmindly staring out the window. I've been here all morning waiting for Justin. He hadn't told me at what time he was coming. For all I knew, he'd get here at night. But I didn't care. I'd wait for him here. I missed him so much. Sure, the past three days were fun with Duncan, Mia, and Roxi but I just couldn't stop thinking about Justin.

"You ok, sweetheart?" Aunt Marci asks me.

I nod, not looking away from the window.

"Ok," She says. "I'm going out for groceries. Call me if you need anything." She tells me before exiting the house.

"And I'm going to Roxi's." Mia chirps, appearing suddenly. "We're heading to Malibu. Wanna come?"

I shake my head. "No thanks."

Mia simply shrugs and disappears behind Aunt Marci. I heave a sigh and fall to the floor, pulling my knees to my chest and wishing Justin would get here soon.

Two hours later, I'm sitting in the kitchen scanning through some old edition of Vogue I'd found in one of the drawers. There was nothing interesting, just a bunch of washed up celebrities.

I'm startled by the sound of the doorbell ringing. I grin, jumping up and running over to pry open the door.

"Hey, Ju..." I frown. "Duncan?" Disappointment falls over my face.

Duncan gives me a curious look, stepping inside. I shut the door behind him.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him. "Arent you going to Malibu with Mia and your sister?"

He shrugs. "Nah. I just thought I'd come over to see you."

I smirk. "You saw me yesterday."

He shrugs again. "Yeah, but...I wanted to see you again."

I throw him a questioning look. "What's up with you, Duncan?"

He bites his lip and takes a step closer to me, a piece of his dark hair falling over his right eye. "It's just that...the past days..I think I..." He pauses. "I like you, Cartwheel. A lot."

My jaw hits the ground at his confession. He...what?

"Is this too weird?" He mumbles, his face inching closer and closer to mine.

My heart pounds in my chest...and I don't mean that in a good way. I mean that in a nervous way. This can't be happening. He can't like me. I've known him most of my life. Why now? Sure, I used to have a crush on him. But that crush disappeared. He's nothing but a friend.

"Duncan," I blurt before his lip touches mine. "I have a boyfriend."

He doesn't move his face away. I can feel his breath on my lips.

"Really? I've never seen him." He whispers.

All of the sudden, I hear the front door open. Duncan and I step away from each other simutaneously, startled.

I turn to look at who'd just entered to see...

Justin.

My heart stops. There's a heartbroken expression on his face that could only tear me to pieces. He seems to have been frozen in place.

"Justin-" I begin to say.

"Save it." He snaps, turning away and running out the door, something falling from his hands and clattering to the floor.

"Was that-" Duncan begins to say.

I cut him off by running out the door after Justin, picking up whatever he'd dropping on my way.