Chapter 22

• Carter •

I'm sitting in detention, hardly able to focus because I can feel Connor's eyes burning a hole through my back.

"Psst! Carter?" He whisper-calls me, poking me in the back with the back of his pencil.

I purse my lips, trying to ignore him as I work on my Biology homework.

Eventually, I give up, shoving my homework into my book bag along with my pencil.

"What do you want?" I snap back at him.

He grins and flicks a folded piece of paper onto my desk.

I raise a curious eyebrow as I unfold it, a frown etched onto my face.

___________________________________________

Want to go c "The Art Of Getting By" with me today?

___________________________________________

I roll my eyes and crumble up the paper, throwing it back at him. I think that should have given him the memo.

He doesn't bother me the rest of detention...until we're dismissed and I make a dash out the door.

"Carter! Wait!" He calls after me as I try to walk quickly out of the building.

Cale's parked outside, waiting to drive me home. I walk faster but fail to make it to the car before Connor takes my wrist, pulling me back.

"Just one date?" He pleads, a desperate look on his face.

I heave a sigh. "I have a boyfriend."

Connor's face falls. "Why didn't you mention that earlier before I made a complete fool out of myself?"

I chuckle. "Sorry, Connor."

He gives me a lopsided smile. "Well, I guess I'll see you around."

"Bye, Connor." I respond, giving him a three-finger wave before making my way around the car and jumping into the passenger seat.

Cale starts the ignition. "Connor bothering you?" He asks.

"Maybe a little." I admit.

Cale laughs softly. "If he bothers you again, tell me. I've got your back."

I roll my eyes. "No need. I can handle him."

"Sure you can, Carter."

• Justin •

"This movie is going to be insane!" Chaz exclaimed as we sauntered into the theater, Selena, Demi, and Cameron at our side.

"This is the number one movie in the world right now." Demi comments, brushing a strand of her brown hair out of her eyes. "I heard it was really good."

Cameron nods in agreement. "I wonder who will win this final battle. Harry or Voldemort?"

"Has to be Harry!" Selena adds excitedly, bouncing between Demi and I.

I don't pay much attention, my mind not able to focus much. I wished Carter was here right now. There's no one else I'd rather spend time with.

"Can't wait to see it!" Demi chirps as we all take out seats at the very back of the theater so no one would recognize us.

The previews begin to play and when the movie finally starts, Chaz groans.

"Why didn't buy drink or something? I'm starving!" He fusses, making me shoot him a shut-the-heck-up look.

"I agree." Selena butts in, no longer focusing on the movie. "In fact, I'll go buy some. I can really go for some Milk Duds right now." She stands up, about to make her way down when I call after her.