Chapter 7

• Carter •

I didn't know how to respond to Justin's confession. His eyes looked so helpless and innocent that for a minute there I forgot it was Justin who had said that. I blinked, looking back at him in awe.

"You can come inside if you want." I finally say.

He heaves a sigh of relief and slips out of the limo after me. I can hear him behind me as I saunter up the driveway and pull open the front door.

"Aunt Marci?" I call. "I'm home."

She appears at the kitchen's entrance, a smile on her face. "Glad you're home, Carter. Mia hasn't arrived." She suddenly spots Justin standing awkwardly behind me and grins. "Oh! You must be Carter's new friend! Nice to meet you." She walks over and holds her hand out for Justin.

He takes it. "Nice to meet you too."

Aunt Marci winks in my direction and I shoot her a glare. She shrugs innocently.

"We'll be out back." I tell her. "C'mon." I motion for Justin to follow me. I led him out the back door and to the pool area. The pool's huge and I barely ever use it. It's mostly Mia and her loud group of friends.

I take a seat on a lawn chair and Justin does the same.

"So," I say, breaking the silence. "You have something to explain?"

He shifts awkardly and sighs. "Cant you just drop it, Carter?"

I frown. "I can't drop it, Justin. My own family's keeping secrets from me. Why my friend too?"

He sighs again and looks down at his hands. "It's complicated."

I groan. "Is that your answer to everything? Jeez, Justin. I need to know why you acted so strange at the carnival. I need to know why you changed and..." I pause. "You can't trust me, ok?I promise I won't judge you."

He looks at me, that helpless look appearing in his eyes again. "Ok," He say finally, defeated. "I tell you."

I give him and assuring smile and wait. He glances around his surrounds for a while before looking back at me.

"I was happy." He begins. "I had an amazing life, amazing fans, and..." He looks down again. "and an amazing girlfriend." He looks nervous as his eyes meet mine again and he continues. "I loved her and she seemed to love me back. I've never been so in love in my life. I'd do absolutely anything for her, but..." He tugs at his shirt. "She was older than me by two years. I sometimes felt like a lost puppy when I was with her. I felt like some naive kid. One day...one day calls me and...and she breaks up with me. She tells me it won't work out because I was too young and immature for her. She said it was also driving away some of her fans just because she was dating me. But what really got to me was when she said I was immature. It never once crossed my mine that I was too immature for her. I was only 16...and she was 18." He closes his eyes for a second. "She broke my heart. For days I thought about what she said and decided that maybe she was right. Maybe I was to immature. I wanted to prove something to her. To prove that I could be mature. To prove that I can be the man she wanted. So I just started going to clubs, drinking, hooking up with a different girls each night..." He exhales. "I kinda lost control. But ai did feel more mature. Then...this morning...she called me for the first time in ages." He runs a nervous hand through his hair. "I don't know what to do."

"Justin?" I ask him. "Was this girl...Selena?"

He looks at me for a second and then nods, his eyes somehow watery.

"So that's it?" I say. "It was all over a girl? Over Selena? She's the one who changed you?"

He nods and buries his face in his hands, not crying but on the edge.