Chapter 15

• Carter •

Jeff drops me off at my house. I wipe tears from my eyes and run over to my porch, collapsing on cold ground.

I couldn't do this. I couldn't go public with Justin. I'm not sure I'm able to deal with all the questioning paparazzi, the rumors, the fans...

It's all too much.

I bring my knees to my chest, not caring how short this dress was, and place my face between my knees.

A part of me wishes I hadn't met Justin. But another part, a bigger part will always need Justin in my life.

• Justin •

I'm trying to avoid the paparazzi while dialing Jeff's number. It was probably the sixth time I'd callen him and no answer.

I thought he was MY driver?

At last, his familiar Italian accent picks up. "Ello, Mr.Bieber."

I scowl. "Why haven't you picked up?! Why didn't you wait for me?!"

He doesn't respond for a moment and then says: "I am sorry, Mr.Bieber. I will be there in five."

"You better." I snap and stab at the 'End' button on my iPhone.

• • •

I paced back and forth, looking at my watch. Jeff should be here any minute now. I don't think I'm patient enough to wait. I'm worried about Carter.

Finally my familiar limo pulls up, Jeff's window rolling down.

"Sorry for the wait, Mr.Bieber. Miss Carter said it was an emergency and she had to get home."

I bite my lip before I say something rude. Instead, I say: "Sorry for yelling at you." I mumble, heading for the backseat. "I'm stressed." I tell him. "To Carter's, by the way. I need to talk to her."

Jeff simply nods and rolls back up his window. I pry open the back door and slip into the backseat, lying my head against the tinted glass window after I close back the door.

Why did Carter just run out like that?

• • •

"We have arrived, Mr.Bieber." Jeff informs me.

"Thanks, Jeff." I thank him. "Can you wait here?"

"Of course, Mr.Bieber."

"Thank you." I say again and pry open the back door, stepping out into Carter's driveway.

I spot her on her porch, her head in her knees, unaware of my presence. I slowly walk over to her, sliding down beside her.

"Hey."

She sniffles and looks up at me, wiping a teardrop from her eye. "Hey."

"What happened?" I ask her. "Why did you run out?"

She sighs and looks down at her fingers, fiddling with them. "I don't think I'm ready, Justin. It's all too much."

"What are you talking about?" I question, taking her hand and wounding my fingers with hers.

"I don't think I can deal with the paparazzi." She blurts. "I'm not ready for all the publicity. I just want a normal relationship."

I purse my lips. "I'm sorry, Cart. I want a normal relationship too, but that's obviously impossible."

She heaves a sob and pulls her hand from mine. "I'm just not ready for any of this, Justin."

"Does that mean you're not ready for us?" I ask her in a whisper.