Chapter 29

• Justin •

"What do you want?" Cale frowns, staring back at me from his place on the couch.

I lean against the wall closest to me. "I need you to convince Carter to go bowling with us."

"Us?" Cale snickers. "Who said we were going bowling? I've got better things to do-"

"Selena Gomez is coming."

Cale is suddenly up. "I'm sure Carter would love to go."

"I'm sure she would." I chuckle as Cale brushes past me to go ask Carter.

Works like a charm, I think to myself.

• Carter •

I stare blankly at my tv, unable to focus on the current showing of The Vampire Diaries. My mind was blank too. I don't want to think. I don't want to place pieces together. I just want a normal life.

"Carter?" My bedroom door creaks open to reveal Cale. "Can I come in?"

I shrug, allowing him to walk in and take a seat on the bed beside me. "So," He begins. "I was thinking that maybe you needed an escape from reality. You know? A friends' night out. You, Me, Justin-"

I shoot him a glare before he can even finish. "Justin? What's going on here, Cale?"

He chuckles nervously. "Ok, truth is that Selena invited Justin and you to go bowling later and Justin invited me because he thinks you won't go if I don't go, and..." His voice fades and he looks down. I can't help the slight blush rising in his cheeks. "I really want to meet Selena. C'mon, Cart. For me?" He throws me a pleading look along with am irresistible puppy face.

Don't give in, Carter, I say to myself. You're better than that. It's just a puppy face...

"Please, Cart?" Cale keeps begging. "You need the escape anyways."

Don't do it, Carter. Don't say it...

I sigh. "Oh, what the heck. Sure, Cale. I'll go."

Cale's eyes light up and throws his arms around me in a hug, almost squeezing me to death.

"Cale..." I manage. "You're...choking...me..."

"Sorry." He flushes, pulling away.

I flash him an it's-ok smile as I hug my knees to my chest.

"Selena's going to love you, Cale." I tell him.

He grins. "You think?"

"I know."

• • •

I somehow managed to find a good enough bowling outfit: a pair of capris with a cute, green tank. I slid on my favorite pair of flip-flops and made my way downstairs, meeting Cale and Justin out on the porch. Justin flashes me a small smile which I weakly return as I rest my head against Cale's shoulder.

Justin looks away, his eyes glued on the porch's wooden floor. Cale nudges me but I ignore him, finding myself staring at the ground as well.

Minutes seemed to drag on forever. When I finally heard the sound of a car horn, I heaved a sigh of relief, leaning away from Cale and looking back at the silver Porsche with Selena in the driver's seat.

"Sweet baby Jesus, she is so beautiful." I hear Cale mutter beneath his breath. I chuckle and take his wrist, pulling over to the Porsche.

Cale opens the back door as I hear Justin slip into the passengers seat. I jump in first, allowing Cale to slide in after me and close the door.