Chapter 16

When we arrived back at my packhouse Achilles' phone went off, he glared at the screen but answered it with a sigh. I decided it would be best to grab our two bags and bring them in, since he didn't look like he liked the person calling him. I placed our bags on the couch and unpacked them, after throwing the dirty clothes in the hamper I threw the bags in the closet. I then laid on our bed, sighing in content.

I was full from the lunch we had at my favorite diner, which happens to be his favorite diner as well. The Wolf Diner was owned by my father's friend, Fredrick. I used to call him uncle Fred when I was younger and he ended up adopting that as his name for me. He used to spoil my sister and I, always getting us what we wanted behind my parents' back.

Sadie and I have always loved stuffed animals, but when we had bins filled with them they told us we're not allowed to have anymore. Well, uncle Fred would always buy us one whenever he babysat us for the day. Uncle Fred used to have a mate and a son, but his mate left him for a rich guy and took his son with him. His mate wasn't a werewolf, so it wasn't hard for her to leave him. Especially since he never marked her, she insisted she didn't want to be marked. She never hated werewolves, she was adopted by a werewolf couple and loved them dearly. Even so, she hated my uncle Fred. He loved his diner, but he was still in middle class and his mate wanted a richer man.

Luckily, his son left his mother and came back to his father. He told him how he hated his mom, she was a bitter gold digger who was cheating on her new sugar daddy. Fred became disgusted by her and rejected her, of course she came running back in tears. Yet, he shook his head and rejected her, closing his door in her face. I have no idea what happened to her, all I know is her parents had to hold a funeral for her. My uncle Fred died only a year after from depression, leaving his son in charge of his diner.

His son, Matthew, is still in charge today. He's only thirty one, has a mate, and four children. He's a half werewolf and half human, clearly, but he's a sweetheart. He can shift, but his wolf is smaller than usual. My pack loves him though and never treated him any different, but he decided to be a lone wolf with his family. His mate was already a lone wolf, so it didn't bother her. I do visit them often though, just to check up on them. His mate is like an older sister to me, she's always looking out for me.

I was dragged from memory lane when Achilles stormed in, slamming the door behind him. I sat up and furrowed my eyebrows, confusion taking place.

"Are you okay?" I asked, worried.

Achilles sighed, "No, my fucking mother called. She refuses to leave until I come home."

"Well, then go home for a bit. I can handle things here, it is my pack after all. We could call and text, it's fine." I replied, gently grabbing his face.

His black eyes shifted to me, narrowing. "You want me to leave." he stated.

He yanked himself away and glared at me, his arms folded across his chest. I rolled my eyes, "Don't be ridiculous, Achilles. I don't want you to leave, you're my mate and I love you. I want you to be near me at all times, but you should at least visit your pack. It's up to you if you want to stay for the day or for a a night or two. You should at least go back and make sure they're alright."

"I already did that the other night when you were sleeping, I met Reese by the border and he gave me an update. I also checked the dungeons, I'm not going to stay there for a whole night. The rogues aren't focused on my pack."

"Not right now."

He glowered at me, "I don't need your smartass attitude, Iris." he spat.

I was taken aback by his sudden mood, he was directing all his anger towards me. I shook my head and yanked the door open. "When you're done your hissy fit and you won't take your anger out on me, come and talk to me, but until then...stay away from me." I snarled before slamming the door.

I stormed down to the kitchen and sat in a chair, scowling at the table. I understand he hates his mother's guts because she partied most of his life, but that doesn't give him the right to take his stress and frustration out on me. I froze as I heard our bedroom door slam and his heavy footsteps smack against the ground as they got closer. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, here we go.

Only one question was in my head, why is he suddenly pissed off at me?

Author's note: Chapter 17 is coming soon! :)