5. The Same Reward

Merlin and Anna let go of each other's hand as soon as the guards, at the gates of Camelot, came into view. Neither of them wanted to give the impression that they had bonded in their short time together, even though it was pretty clear, to both of them, that they had. They shared something extraordinary. The more distance between them as they went in, the better. At least, for now. They walked through the gates without being stopped, but they weren't out of the woods yet. They had no idea what was about to happen.

Gwaine was heading toward the gates. He had a message to deliver to the guards. When he noticed Anna, he immediately seized her arm. Merlin nearly reacted, magicially too, until he saw who had her.

"Hey!" Anna cried.

"You!" Gwaine exclaimed. He would have recognized that cloak she was wearing anywhere. "You're the sorceress from the woods."

The color drained from her face the moment she heard him speak. She would recognize that voice anywhere. She glanced at him, and recognized his face too. It was the man who had his sword in her back in the woods.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about," she stammered.

"Likely story."

Gwaine started to drag her away, but Merlin stopped him.

"No, really, Gwaine. She can't be the one you're looking for."

Gwaine hadn't even noticed Merlin standing there until he grabbed his arm. He gently removed Merlin's hand. The two of them were friends, and they had been for a long time.

"I'm sorry, Merlin, but you didn't see her. She nearly killed us with that spell."

He glanced at Anna, who was pleading with him, using her eyes. That was news to him. He didn't know that she'd had a run-in with Gwaine. That was something she had failed to mention to him.

"You've got the wrong person!" Anna cried. She looked straight at Merlin when she said the next word. "Please."

Gwaine kept his grip tight on her. He called a set of nearby guards over to him and handed Anna over to them. They gripped her tightly. She glanced back at Merlin. Why was he just standing there? Why wasn't he doing anything? Did he think she had done something horrible to them? Then it dawned on her. She hadn't told him about the incident.

Merlin stood by helplessly as the guards, on Gwaine's orders, started to drag Anna away. There was nothing he could do. Gwaine wouldn't listen to him. He still couldn't understand why she hadn't told him about Gwaine. He frowned, wondering if he had been too quick to trust her. He glanced at Gwaine, who beckoned him to follow him. They both turned and followed the guards into the castle. There must have been a reason for her to attack them if it was true. He had to find out. He hoped that she was powerful enough to hear him without him having to say anything.

"Anna!"

He saw her glance back, and knew she had heard him, but she didn't respond. He continued to address her telepathically, hoping she would say something. Anything.

"What happened with Gwaine?"

Anna tried to glance back at him, but the guards man-handled her, and kept her focus in front of her.

"I didn't hurt them, Merlin," she responded finally. "I used a spell to cause a mini earthquake so I could escape. I had to get to you. You were dying and I didn't have time to do it any other way. That's all. Please believe me."

Merlin took a silent breath, relieved. "I believe you, Anna. Don't worry. I'll get you out of this. Even if I have to lie, I won't let them kill you."