20. The Calm Before the Storm

Anna opened her eyes two hours after she had gone to sleep. The only reason she woke then was because someone was shaking her. She rolled over and came face to face with Cora.

"Hey there, Anna," she greeted her. "Sorry to wake you, but there's only an hour before the feast starts. I figured I could help you get ready."

Anna rubbed her eyes sleepily. "I have plenty of time." She sat up.

Cora sat down on the bed in front of her. "Yes, but I don't."

She frowned. "What are you talking about?"

Cora explained what had happened and how they found the traitor. "Arthur wanted-well no-Merlin wanted Mordred to go after Hugh's family. I didn't want him to have to go alone, to ask you if it was okay."

Anna stared at her for a few seconds. She wasn't fully awake yet. "Cora, I don't know-"

She smiled. "You and Merlin are more than powerful enough to take on Morgana and Thorn."

"But what if there are more?"

"They're the main threats. You saw that in your vision."

"I did."

"I really want to go."

Anna frowned. "Why? You hardly know him."

Cora blushed sheepishly. "I like him." She told her about the moment they had shared earlier.

Anna pressed her lips together. "Okay, but only on one condition."

"Anything."

"Starla has to be the one to take you."

Cora grinned. "It's a deal. She hugged her tightly. "Now let's get you ready."

~ * ~

The mood was somber in Arthur's chambers. He and Gwen were sitting on his bed, as close as they could get to each other. Gwen had her head lying against Arthurs chest. He was just holding her there. No words were being spoken. It was just silent bliss.

The plan was already in place. Everyone but Anna knew, and Cora was taking care of that little snare. Arthur sighed inwardly. As the minutes ticked away, he was starting to get more and more nervous. He stroked Gwen's long, curly hair. He had half a mind to get her out of the castle, to send her far away, where he knew she would be safe. He knew she would never allow it. She was stubborn and brave; he loved her for it.

"Arthur?" Gwen said abruptly.

"Yes?" Arthur gazed down at his chest.

"I feel like a sissy for admitting this, but I'm scared."

He smiled. "Being frightened is nothig to be ashamed of. I'm scared too, Guinevere."

She looked up at him, slightly surprised. "Really?"

He nodded. "For the first time in my life, I'm having to leave the battle in someone else's hands. I'm terrified at all the things that could go wrong tonight."

"Merlin is a very powerful sorcerer. The battle is in capable hands."

"I know, but even Merlin is only one man. I just don't like the odds."

"Anna is here for us too."

"She's strong. I just pray everything goes according to plan."

"It will. I believe it will."

Arthur pressed his lips together. He still had his doubts. No matter how hard he tried to push them away, they kept coming back at him with a vegenance.