18. Mordred

The next morning, the sun came up over the hills shining with all its might, illuminating the entire kingdom. The temperature was perfect though. It wasn't too hot to breathe, nor was it so cold you could see your breath. There was a light breeze blowing. It was going to be a beautiful day.

Things in the castle were semi-normal. Merlin slept in his own bed. Arthur insisted Anna, since she was royalty, take Morgana's old room. After a small discussion, Anna finally agreed.

Cora slept in the servant's quarters just across the hall, where Gwen had sometimes stayed when Morgana needed her to.

Mordred was given a room close to the knight's quarters to sleep in, which delighted him.

"I like him," Arthur said. "Mordred, I mean."

Merlin was in the middle of serving breakfast to him and Gwen. He looked up at Arthur, but he didn't say anything. His facial expression was blank and he made sure he kept it that way.

"What? No comment, Merlin?"

He smiled. Leave it to Arthur to notice his silence. "No, sire."

"You would normally have something to say. What do you think of him?"

Merlin swallowed. Why did he have to ask him about Mordred of all people? "I think it best if I do not say, Arthur."

Arthur's eyebrows shot up. Gwen's too. Neither of them expected his blunt response.

"What do you mean?" Arthur asked.

"Yes, Merlin," Gwen added, "if you know something, you must tell us. Arthur plans on making Mordred a knight."

"A knight?" Merlin echoed. A wave of dread rushed through him.

She nodded.

"Unless there is a reason I should not," Arthur pushed gently. There was something Merlin wasn't saying.

"Alright." Merlin might as well tell him. He knew almost everything else about him now. "Do you remember a few months ago, when you found me in the cave, next to the dead man?"

He frowned, deep in thought. "Yes. I believe so. You were crying when I came in."

Merlin nodded. "You thought it was because he died, but it wasn't. The man was a druid seer, Arthur. He showed me a prophecy. It included Mordred."

"What did you see, Merlin?" Gwen questioned. She was on the very edge of her seat.

He had claimed Arthur's full attention as well.

"It was a prophecy of your death, Arthur," Merlin continued, his voice shaking. He still remembered seeing it as if the images were in front of him now. "Mordred ran you through. There was so much hatred in his eyes. And this wasn't the only indication he may be less than honorable. The seer wasn't the first one to tell me. The Great Dragon warned me many years ago your death would come at the hands of a druid boy."

Arthur stared hard at him. "And you believe Mordred will kill me?"

Merlin nodded. "It is what I saw. Every vision I've ever seen has come to pass, Arthur. I fear this one is no different."

Gwen licked her lips nervously. "Arthur, I don't think making him a knight would be wise. Not after this revelation. I think you should stay away from Mordred. Turn him out."

Arthur shook his head. "And leave him at the mercy of Morgana? I can't. He saved my life."

"And he will be responsible for taking it."