Chapter Eight

~Emily~ 

 "Wait, what?!" I yelled, shoving him away as I stumbled to the side, successfully not falling off the pier. I was taken aback by his offer, my eyes widened, mouth agape.

"Look, Ems. I know you're probably wondering wh-"

"Damn straight I'm wondering!" I cut him off, receiving a glare from him as he continued shortly. "I know you're probably wondering why I'm asking you to come to Illinois with me. It's just that... I heard what happened." He muttered, his voice trailing off as he looked down, shuffling his feet.

I quirked an eyebrow up at him, but my heart's pace was quickening nonetheless. What did Harry find out? And if it was something important enough to have him offering to stay in Illinois with him, how did he find out? And from who?

My questions were answered shortly after he sighed heavily, looking up at me. "I...I talked to your dad this morning..." He paused, my breath hitching at the mention of my dad. There were a lot of stuff I had told my dad that I swore to never tell Harry. But what would Dad even tell him?

"I know you didn't get accepted in MMU (Manchester Metropolitan University), Ems. I knew how you were depressed about it for nearly half a year! Wha...Why didn't you tell me about it?" He asks, his face expressing signs of hurt and concern.

I rolled my eyes at him, looking at him blankly, "You were in the middle of making your second album, Harry. Why would I even bother you when you're in the middle of something important? I didn't need you to pity me while you're doing your job. I handled it quite nicely, thank you very much." I said, crossing my arms.

"Emily, you know that's not a good enough reason! I'm your best friend! For fucks sake, you were having symptoms of depression, Ems! I wouldn't forgive myself if something happened to you in the middle of all that you were going th-"

"-Well a best friend doesn't throw a lamp shade on his best friend either but you did anyways! And why would I even bother telling you about it, Harry?! Like you would even give a fuck! You were too busy being depressed about Amber yourself!" I shouted, immediately regretting the words that spilled out of my mouth the moment I saw Harry's pained expression.

I clamped my mouth with my hand, eyes widened as I saw his lips slightly parted in shock. My lips quivered as I saw his eyes turn glossy, his fists clenching tightly. He chewed on his bottom lip as he sighed, "You know I'm sorry about last night, Ems. I really am. Did you know how much I hated myself for doing that?! Do you know how much I hate myself for not being there when you needed me the most!? For fucks sake I was thinking of leaving the band because I couldn't live a day without wondering if you were alright! Yes, I am depressed because of Amber and you know that so well. But you wouldn't even understand what I'm going through because you haven't even experienced having someone you love so much just leave you in the air like that!" He yelled, the veins on his neck becoming very prominent.

"You think I don't understand what it's like to have someone I love leave me in the air?! Well you're fucking wrong, Styles! I've experienced it! Over and over and over again! You would be surprised to find out who that person is, you dumbass!" I said, and by this point I was smacking Harry repeatedly on the chest, his hands finding its way to my wrists to prevent me from hitting him any longer.