Chapter Thirty

~Emily~

Snow.

It's one of the minor details when it's winter but also one of the major ones. It can be unrecognized to majorly noticed. It has the power to be remembered.

"Dad, I'm off to work." I call out, hearing a muffled response from my father in the bathroom. Grabbing my keys off the counter, I pry the front door open and head towards my car.

It was Christmas again and ever since, it still shocks me how none of what happened last winter ever went public. Usually, everything that happens around their social circle spreads in a second. But when it came to us, nothing came around.

He meant it when he said he won't let anyone hurt us. He meant it when he said he'd do anything to keep us going. But he never realized doing all that meant almost losing his best friend. There are times when I would look back and ask myself if I ever regret leaving him for no apparent reason but then I remember I did it for a good cause. I'd much rather save a friendship than break one because of an uncertain relationship.

My hand fiddles with the brake, making a stop in front of the bookstore I was currently working at. Grabbing my coat, I get out of the car and enter the store quickly, avoiding the unbearable weather today.

"Morning, Ems." Wesley, the manager greets me as I enter and I acknowledge him with a smile, hooking my nametag on before proceeding to my station.

"It's kind of cold outside, isn't it?" He asks and I grunt, jumping on my stool.

"Tell me about it," I start, "I had to put my heater on maximum because of the horrid weather. I doubt much people will go outside due to the snow." I groan and he just laughs.

"Well let's just hope someone comes or else it will be just another day wasted before Christmas." He jokes and I give him a small smile, tying my hair neatly before slumping on the counter.

He opens the telly and I find myself entranced by what's on the news. My eyes train on the morning news, my heart hammering in my chest loudly when a pair of familiar eyes look directly at me; or the camera for that matter.

"Do you have a special someone, Harry?" The reporter asks and the moment his lips part, my heart skips a beat.

His eyes give out a certain radiance and he looks down before looking up at the camera once more. A small and polite smile tugs on his lips before looking at the reporter, "Merry Christmas, Kelly." He says before scurrying out of sight quickly.

I evade my gaze from the screen, finding it hard to cope with what I just saw. His voice sounds so different; so surreal. He looks exhausted; what with the workload he's been given for the past year.

"Haven't heard from him, have you?" Wesley takes me by surprise as he breaks off the silence, my eyes jerking towards him. I give him a sad smile and shake my head, my hands suddenly sparking interest.

"He sounds like a lovely boy. If I were you, I wouldn't have given up the friendship." He remarks and I just give him a smile. He doesn't know the whole story. He knows I was Harry's friend. He never knew what happened last winter.

"Well, some things are just meant to fall apart." I mutter, sitting up straighter this time when I hear the door creak open, revealing someone I somehow wasn't surprised to see.

"Emily, you work here?" She asks, her brown locks cascading down her shoulders. It was shocking how she coped the weather outside with only a woolen sweater and some jeans.

"Yup." I answer and she just smiles, grabbing a book from one of the shelves before coming back to me. She hands me over the book, waiting for me to ring it up.