Chapter Twenty

~Emily~ 

Beeping.

The first thing I heard as I grew conscious was the continuous beeping by my left side, feeling something pinching my left forefinger that may have caused the continuous beeping. I fluttered my eyes open, immediately squinting them as it focused on the blinding light above me.

I quickly looked to my left to avoid the light, eyes widening to see Louis, his face slumped on his arms, sleeping soundly at the side of my bed. I was still confused as to where we were, noticing I was dressed in a plain white hospital gown, an oxygen tube connected to my nose. I quickly panicked, sitting up abruptly from my laying down position only to feel a jolt of pain rush through my body, causing me to flinch and lie back down again.

Louis snored softly before moving slightly, lifting his head up and fluttering his eyes open. He gasped, suddenly panicking at the sight of me conscious. "Emily, are you okay?!" He asked abruptly, sounding panicked and confused at the same time.

I nodded, grunting slightly as I felt my head throbbing painfully, "Where am I?" I muttered, looking at him. He pouted, "We... we saw you down the alley. You were stabbed, Ems." He said, sounding defeated.

My heart raised as I examined his expression, "Wha-what?" I sputtered, surprised at what he had told me. I was stabbed? How did that even happen? The last thing I remember was riding the bus back to Harry's.

"Jill rang you but Harry picked it up and said you guys had a major argument and you walked out. He said it had something to do with Amber so you walked out furious and the last thing we knew you were there unconscious." He muttered, avoiding my gaze. 

Suddenly, everything came back. Amber, the fight, Harry's insults. Everything. And what pained me more, was that it was Louis who initiated looking for me, not Harry.

Not my own best friend.

"He... He didn't look for me?" I asked, my voice breaking as my mind played thoughts of Harry. He contemplated for a while, as if debating about something in his mind before shaking his head slowly.

"He didn't look for you, Ems. He just stayed in the flat." He spoke, his forehead creasing at this. My heart didn't ache. Instead, all I felt at this moment was pure anger and rage. I didn't feel sorry that I threw those words at Harry. i didn't feel sorry that I insulted Amber. I didn't feel sorry that I was protecting his sorry ass when really he wouldn't be bothered being there for me when I was in danger.

"Oh."

Involuntarily, my fists clenched, teeth gritting, and jaw tightening. I felt numb. Like everything I had always cared for was taken from me in just a matter of few seconds. I felt weak. Like I didn't have enough strength to mutter anything. I felt upset. Because the only person I depended on never bothered checking if I was safe.

Safe to say, my emotions are jumbled up right now.

Moments of silence engulfed us, composed of Louis eyeing me warily and me staring blankly in front. I didn't know if I needed to say something right now or just act like I was thinking of something deeply. I didn't know if I wanted to ask Louis why Harry hadn't bothered looking for me or if he even bothered visiting me. I was curious, I must admit. But what I'm scared of is that I might already know the answer. If he didn't bother looking for me, there's no possibility he bothered visiting me.

"How long have I been here?" I asked, glancing back to Louis who had his chin over his crossed arms as he leaned on the bed. He looked over the calendar pinned on the dull walls, squinting slightly to see the numbers clearly before looking over to me.