Sugar Cookies

Jasabelle

I was scared, excited and confused all at the same time. I was also tired from all the work I did this morning, but I couldn't fall asleep in this car. Not next to this big guy. I knew who he was. He was Alpha Nyx of the Night Sky pack. I was to know all the Alpha's on the East Coast so I knew how to greet them properly when serving in meetings. Alpha Nyx had never come in person to our pack, he had always sent his Beta, Ken.

I was still looking at him curiosity and a little bit of fear. I had no idea what a mate was. I haven't been in school since I was 9 and at 20 there were many things I didn't know. I tried to sneak books to try and learn but it was hard to get them and even harder to read them. Being the runt meant my education was limited and that my ability to gain more was non-existent.

Alpha Nyx looked over at me with wide eyes. "You don't know what mates are Jasabelle?" I liked when he said my name. It made me feel special and gave me butterflies. At some points I forgot I had another name other than Runt.

I shake my head scared at his tone. He sounded angry. I felt myself wanting to make it go away, but I know if I touched him without permission I would be in trouble. "N-No sir."

He sighed and I could see him relax. "Jasabelle how long did you go to school?"

"I stopped going in fourth grade." I whispered with my head down. I didn't want him to think I was dumb. Sure there are a few things I don't know, but I'm smart enough.

His growl had me whimpering and cowering away from him. I had angered him, and he would punish me.

I closed my eyes waiting for the blow. When I didn't feel it, I opened my eyes to find us pulled over and Alpha Nyx looking at me with hurt in his eyes.

"Jasabelle, I would never hurt you." He whispered, his hand coming out to caress my face. As much as I wanted his touch I was too scared he'd hurt me so I whimpered again.

He pulled his hand back and ran it through his black hair. I liked it. It was longer on top than it was on the sides, and was wavy. It looked silky and I was itching to put my hands through it.

"Jasabelle you don't have to be scared. I am your mate." When I cocked my head confusion at the word again began explaining. "A mate is a soul mate. The person your wolf spirit chooses for you to spend the rest of your life with. They will always be yours and you will always be there. They will love and protect you for as long as you both live. If you were to lose your mate, a part of you wolf spirit would die because you are connected to them body, mind and soul. You, my love, are my mate and my Luna."

I stared at him wide eyed. I couldn't be that for him. I may not have known what mates were but I knew what Luna's were. I could never be a good Luna. They are strong, confident and loved by all. I was none of those.

"I-I can't be Luna." I whispered fearful of what his reaction would be. God why was I suddenly so big mouthed?

He growled. "Why can't you?"

I whimpered at his hard tone. "I-I'm not strong enough to be a Luna. I'm weak. I can't even shift anymore." I nearly cried about that. I haven't heard from my wolf spirit for years. I was beaten so badly one day that she shut down finally tired from all the torture.

Alpha Nyx looked and me sympathetically. "Love, I'm so sorry. But you are not weak. I know you were hurt in that place more than you should have been, but you won't be anymore. I will teach you to be stronger than you think is possible. You ARE my Luna and my mate. My job as Alpha and your mate is to protect and love you. I intend to follow through with that."