Thirty-one.

EDITED.

I decided to stay for the weekend since it had been long since I actually spend time with these people who mean the world to me, like I said, family is important.

"Alexandra?" I looked down to see Alexander tugging on my arm as he looked at me with his innocent eyes.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Will you play hide and seek with us?" He asked as he gestured to the rest of them, his voice soft and sweet.

"Yeah, of course, I will," I said as I watched his face lit up immediately with a huge, bright smile plastered across his chubby face before he excitedly ran around.

"I'm forced to do this," Nathan grumbled under his breath as I looked at him.

"Come on, you know you want to play this," I teased as I poked his arm playfully.

"Alexandra, can you be the seeker?" Alexander asked as he looked up at me.

"Sure," I replied with a smile. "Come on everyone, better hurry along before I find you," I sang.

I watched as all the small kids scampered off in different directions, along with Nathan as well. I turned around to face the wall and covered my eyes with my hands as I counted to 20. "Ready or not, here I come!" I announced to everyone.

I pranced around the house in search of the kids probably hiding in stupid places like under the bed or in the closet.

"Come out, come out wherever you are!" I taunted as I scanned the room. I pushed open the door to Nathan's room to see him plopped onto his bed. A smirk was plastered across his face as his eyes met mine.

"What are doing? You suck at playing hide and seek. You know you are supposed to hide right?" I questioned the dark hair boy with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah I know Alex. I'm not dumb."

"You are not dumb? Nate, I can see you. You are not even hiding," I deadpanned.

"Yeah, whatever. Anyway, they are hiding in my closet," he said nonchalantly as he gestured to his closet to the side of the room.

"So you are just gonna give them away like that?" I asked, gasping dramatically.

"Yeah, it's not like you won't find them in the next five minutes."

"True that though," I mumbled whilst nodding my head slightly.

I tiptoed over to the closet and just as I was about to pull open the doors of the closet, every single one of them jumped out of the closet, screaming "BOO!" at the top of their lungs.

I fell back onto the floor as I placed a hand over my chest and started breathing heavily for dramatic effect.

I was so not expecting that.

Note the sarcasm.

"Damn, you guys got me. I was so scared, almost had a heart attack," I joked as I let out peals of laughter along with them.
→→→→→

I was currently walking along the streets in the park with my mum right next to me. We were strolling along the rather quiet streets, the familiar walkway past all the shops and cafes. The wind caressed my cheeks as it ruffled my messy hair. The light aroma of flowers and children's laughter filled the air as we finally reached the park.

"Mum?"

"Yeah?" She asked as she looked at me.

"What did the doctor said at your last check-up?" I asked, concern evident in my voice.

"He said the condition is getting better," she said as she gave me a small smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. I noticed it and though I wanted to ask if she was sure, eventually I decided not to pry into it. I guess she did not want us to worry.

"That's a great news mum," I said instead, despite the crazy scenarios flashing through my mind all at once.

"Yeah, it's great," she mumbled as she looked down on the stone pavement whilst walking and we soon lapsed into silence again.

"What's wrong?" I finally asked. I couldn't help it this time. I can't be lying to myself. I am worried, I am worried sick in fact. There's a heavy feeling sitting in my chest, weighing myself down. I could feel it there, no matter how hard I tried to shake it off.

"Nothing," she said too quickly, her voice soft and weak, barely above a whisper.

"Mum," I halted in my steps, turning to look at her. "You know you can talk to me right? Everything is going to be fine," I assured as I held onto her hands.

"I mean everything is fine, the situation is getting better. But, there's just one thing..." she trailed off while I looked at her intently. "The treatment and everything. It's so expensive. I honestly feel like a burden to you."

"Hey, mum. Never say that ever again. I thought we talked about this last time? You are not a burden, and you never will be," I said with a genuine smile. "The treatment and all is fine, I can afford it now. Mum, I got a great job and everything. More importantly, I have you right now. It's more important than anything else. Who cares about the price? My priority is to make sure you get well."

"Alexandra..." she mumbled softly as she gave me a sad smile.

I embraced her into a tight hug as I breathed in the familiar smell of her dove shampoo before pulling away from her and looking into her kind green eyes. "Don't worry about it," I mumbled softly, squeezing her hands lightly in mine.

The familiar ringing sound reached my ears and I looked up to see children rushing to the ice cream truck. "Hey, it's the ice cream truck!" I exclaimed excitedly.

"I remember how you dropped your ice cream after some kid accidentally pushed you and you fell to the ground. You cried like there was no tomorrow," mum reminisced as she let out a soft chuckle.

"Mum... I was like five!" I protested as my cheeks flushed a little red.

"Alright, I will stop laughing at you sweetheart. I will go get you your favourite chocolate chip ice cream alright?"

"Yeah." I watched as mum bought the ice cream and made her way back, her fingers wrapped tightly around the two cones.

I gave her a smile as our eyes met, but as soon as I saw what happened next, my smile dropped in less than a second. The next thing I knew was the heavy feeling in my heart overwhelming me. I watched in horror as her grip loosened and mum collapsed to the ground, the ice cream cone in her hand smashing onto the ground with a splat.

Except I didn't cry this time. I screamed.

"Mum!"

A/N:
Hey guys! :) Don't forget to vote, comment and fan! <3 Hope you like it!
and who here is a great fan of Austin & Ally? Ooh I love them! :D #raura #Auslly Their songs are all so so good but I guess I'm currently addicted to billion hits, upside down, illusion, better than this... haha okay I will stop here*coughs* I still watch Disney channel. And can we all just take a moment to appreciate how adorbs Ross's laugh is? especially when he was younger xD
Love all my readers! (:
Much love,
Rachel xx