Hold Me Now-Two

Chapter Two

Liam's fingers drummed absentmindedly on the leather steering wheel, stopping to glance at his watch every few minutes. Zayn, who was sitting beside him, sighed, obviously annoyed. They were outside of Harry's house, waiting for him to come rushing out, explaining that he had gotten caught up. They had texted Harry about half an hour ago, but had never gotten a reply. Liam found it odd, but Zayn didn't think they had to worry. Harry was probably taking forever in the shower, like always.

"What if he is home alone, and he is choking?" Liam asked, looking over at Zayn, biting his lip. Zayn sighed, running a hand carefully through his dark hair, not wanting to mess it up. "Or what if he slipped in the shower, hit his head, and got knocked out?" Liam looked at his watch again, then at Harry's door, which was still closed.

"Liam," Zayn said, taking a deep breath, "Harry is Harry. He knows how to take care of himself. He's a bad boy, for goodness' sake!" Liam nodded, and continues to drum his fingers on the wheel, glancing at the door every so often. After five minutes, Liam unbuckled his seatbelt, throwing it off, and opening the car door. "What are you doing?"

"I am going to go and check on Harry," he said, slamming the door and jogging to Harry's porch. He rapped on the door, and a man, who Liam assumed was Harry's dad, answered the door wearing nothing but a pair of faded jeans. He smelled of smoke and beer, and Liam tried not to show it in his face. "Hi! Is Harry home?" Liam asked politely, plastering a smile on his face.

"And who are you?" the man asked, leaning against the doorframe for support. Liam was able to see over the man's shoulder, inside of the house. It was a living room, a tan couch along one wall, the cushions ripped up, a blanket draped over one of the armrests. There were several lawn chairs set up around the room, and a broken TV on a coffee table in the middle. Clothes, towels, and beer bottles were strewn everywhere, and it didn't have a nice smell.

"I'm Liam, Harry's friend," Liam said warmly, shifting around uncomfortably. The man looked confused, his head cocked to the side, scratching his hair. He studied Liam carefully, as if asking himself if there was an actual human being standing here, on his front porch. He took a deep breath, glancing backwards as his eyes narrowed and became cold.

"I wasn't aware that the crappy thing had any friends," the man muttered, shaking his head. Liam's eyebrows knitted, a perplexed look crossed his face. "Harry is up in his room, though heaven knows why anyone would want to see him." Liam rushed past the man, and bolted for the stairs, afraid of what he would find. He easily found Harry's room, as the door was open, and Harry and Gemma were inside, Harry on the bed, Gemma holding his hand.

"Harry!" Liam shouted as he burst into the room, only to be met with Gemma's teary face. Harry was pale, and he had a loose bandage around his head, one that Gemma had probably put around. "Harry? What? What happened?" Liam asked, falling to his knees across from Gemma and picking up Harry's other limp hand. He could see faint streaks of blood streaming slowly from under the bandage. Gemma shook her head sadly, choking on a sob.

"She-she hit him, Liam! Like he wasn't even her son-n!" she whispered, holding Harry's hand to her chest. Liam gave her a puzzled look, and she sniffed, wiping some tears from her cheeks. "Anne, she-she smashed her bottle, on Harry's head. I-I was scared! I didn't know what to do! Is he going to be okay?" Gemma cried, looking up at Liam.

"Of course Harry is going to be okay. He's strong. And besides," Liam said softly, "getting a bottle smashed over your head is most likely not going to kill you." Gemma gave him a small smile, one that didn't quite reach her eyes. "Gemma? Do you mind if me and Zayn take Harry? Somewhere like his house, where we can help him."