Hold Me Now-Eight

Chapter Eight

Zayn and Niall pulled into Louis' driveway, Niall bouncing with anticipation. The feel of Zayn's strong arms around his body still lingered, and he was itching to feel more. "You're going to bounce right out of my car," Zayn grumbled, turning off the engine. Niall blushed, unbuckling and throwing open the door.

He hurried up the steps, taking the spare key from a frog statue's mouth that opened and closed. Zayn raised an eyebrow at the frog as it started singing. Niall blushed deeply as he shut the mouth, cutting the song off in mid sentence. "Sorry. Louis bought it, not me," Niall said, standing up. The key fell to the floor, and both boys leaned down to get it, clunking heads.

"Ow! Watch it, Blondie," Zayn snapped, rubbing his head. Niall muttered his apologies as he snatched the key up from the ground, hopping up the stairs and to the front door. Zayn followed leisurely behind, his hands jammed in his pockets. Niall had a hard time with the lock, as Zayn did, and threw the key to the ground in frustration. He proceeded in kicking the door, and crossing his arms.

"What's so funny?" Niall pouted as Zayn chuckled. Zayn threw his hands up in defence, and Niall gave him a playful punch. Zayn quickly grabbed Niall's wrists and pushed him against the house, his hot breath on Niall's face. His eyes rested on the scar by Niall's mouth, wondering it he should let his lips trace it, finishing the routine he had started a couple days ago. He decided against it.

"Don't do that again," he said, releasing Niall. Zayn picked up the key, shoved it in the locked, then opened the door. Niall led him down the hallway, to his room. Zayn was amazed by the inside. The blue walls, the white clouds, Niall's handwriting scribbled all over. As Niall was getting his suitcase, Zayn went to read the wall.

You are beautiful. You are special. People love you. I need you. Stay strong, tomorrow's a new day. Someone wants you. Don't let them get to you. People look up to you. You are unbreakable. Look up to your dreams. Don't let anyone put you down. Words are just made up of little letters. If someone is trying to bring you down, that only means you are above them. Every path has its puddles.

Those were only a few. "Did you write all these?" Zayn asked, his fingertips brushing over the words scribbled in black marker. Niall turned to him, watching his eyes flicker over the tiny words.

"Yes, I did. I need encouragement to keep living. Without it, I feel useless, a waste of creation. It helps me," Niall whispered, his fingers reaching out and touching the words, too. Zayn wrapped his fingers around Niall's pale ones, bringing them to his lips. He kissed Niall's knuckles, dropping them. Niall's heart was racing, and he felt giddy inside.

"You're not a useless waste of creation. You're like an angel," Zayn said. Niall froze. Zayn called him an angel, just like his hallucinations. He took a step back, tripping over a shirt he had laying on the ground, stumbling as he fell onto his bottom. Zayn immediately reached out and put his hands on Niall's shoulders. "Are you okay?"

"Z-Zayn?" Niall asked, taking a shaky breath. "Please, don't hit me or anything for saying this, b-but I hallucinated about y-you." He flinched, squeezing his eyes shut. Zayn's breath hitched. Niall hallucinated about him? He leaned down, tilting Niall's chin up.

"Open your eyes," he said, watching as Niall's blue eyes opened slowly, making Zayn melt inside. "Why were you hallucinating in the first place? In that game you played, did they make you drink, too? Why did you play in the first place?"

"Um," Niall started, blushing, "no, they didn't make me drink. I had no choice but to play the game. And I hit my head, making me see things." Niall didn't want to tell Zayn everything. Zayn was like a double edged sword, sweet but risky. Who knew, if Niall had told Zayn the truth, the who school could know by night.