Hold Me Now-Twelve

Chapter Twelve

"Niall, angel, wait up!" Zayn called to the blonde boy, who was giggling, racing ahead. "Niall!" Niall didn't seem to hear him, though, and he skipped along. Zayn made a mad dash for the Irish boy, his head bent, his arms swinging. "Niall?" Somehow, Niall was the same distance away. So Zayn raced to him again, ending in the same result.

"Come and catch me!" Niall shouted, turning as he ran. Zayn frowned, watching Niall's head bob up and down. He had never liked chasing things he wanted. And right now, he wanted Niall. Badly. So Zayn played Niall's little game, chasing him, but never seeming to get any closer to the younger boy.

"Niall!" He shouted, nearly out of breath. Niall giggled ahead. "Come here! Right now!" His legs ached, but no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't stop. Why he was playing this stupid game, he couldn't remember. "N-Niall! Help! I-I can't s-stop!" He wheezed. Niall only laughed, picking up his pace. How could he not be out of breath? What was he doing? Too many questions were rolling through his mind.

"Zayn!" Niall chimed from ahead, not turning around. "Zayn!" The sky above turned dark, and rain pelted down on Zayn. Yet Niall managed not to get wet. "Zayn!" Suddenly, Niall's voice wasn't so cute. It sounded kind of like...Harry? "Zayn!"

"Harry?" Zayn shouted through the rain. It was so loud, all the tinkling and such. Thunder struck, making Zayn jump a little. "What-what's going on?" Niall fell, and Zayn was at his side, taking the shivering boy in his arms. Then he was gone, just disappeared. Someone started to shake him.

"Zayn! Wake up!" Harry cried, shaking Zayn's shoulders. Zayn's eyes sprung open, breathing hard. The rain outside was falling, thunder rumbling in the distance. "Gosh, you've been sleeping for hours!" Harry started to pace the room, staring at Zayn.

"Harry?" He asked softly, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. What an awful dream he had. "Did I? Did I hurt Niall?" Harry's face dropped into a scowl. His hands balled into fists at his side.

"Yes!" He hissed. "You knocked him out! He almost had a concussion! You also hit Louis! Not only that, but you hit me!" Zayn felt sick to his stomach. He hit Harry? The one who had been abused? He hadn't meant to hurt anyone, especially not Niall, his little angel.

"Harry, I'm so sorry!" Zayn cried, holding his arms out for a hug. Harry's eyes narrowed angrily, and he stepped away. "Harry, please, I didn't mean to!" Harry shook his head, his lips in a straight line.

"No," he stated. Zayn felt hurt, and he blinked back tears. "Now, thanks to you, I have to go care for my Boobear." He spat, spinning around. Zayn threw the blankets back, his hand gripping it tight. His knuckles hit something soft, and there was a groan. "Oh, watch out for Niall there."

Zayn head snapped over to see that he had indeed hit Niall, on the forehead. The door slammed shut, signalling that Harry had left. Zayn brushed his fingers over Niall's forehead. The boy stirred slightly, moaning softly. Niall's neck was blue, from where Zayn had hit him. His head had a gauze wrapped several times around his head, his bare chest showing where Zayn's knee had been. There were scattered bruises on his arms and legs.

"Niall," he whispered, picking the frail boy up in his arms. Niall's beautiful blue eyes stayed locked behind his eyelids. "I'm so, so, so, so sorry! I never meant to hurt you! I told Louis and Harry this would happen! I'm just so sorry."

"It's okay," Niall whispered, making Zayn jump. "I'm used to it. I was waiting for it, you know? I knew it was too good to be true, to be away from everything." Zayn was confused, but he decided not to press further. He let his fingers skim over Niall's face, tracing his eyes, nose, mouth, stopping at the scars.