Day 6

Day 6 (Not edited)

___

"Rory, wake up."

I slapped the hand -which was shaking me- away, "Ugh, go away mom."

A snort of disbelief made its way to my ear, "I am not your mother and if you don't wake the hell up, I'm leaving you here."

Wait, what?

I crack an eye open to see Kale looking at me, clearly angry. And then I remember: the baby, the storm, the cuddling. Oh, God. I could feel myself blushing. Is this week "Make Rory Blush" week or what?

I yawn and stretch, hitting my head on the top of the car while doing so, "Ow."

Kale rolls his eyes, "Ok sleeping beauty, I need you to look for incoming cars so we can ask for help."

What an idiot. He thinks we're going to find someone out here?

"Um, unless a chicken can drive a car, we're not going to meet anyone," I say slowly.

He closes his eyes for a second and rubs his temples, "Look Aurora, just listen to what I say ok. I don't need your input on everything."

I gasp, "First of all, don't use my full name. I go by "Rory". I made up that nickname for a reason! And second of all, who says I need your input on everything, huh? I say ten bucks, no one is going to be here for the next hour!" I finish with a huff.

Kale smirks and sticks out a hand, "20 bucks says someone will be here."

I scoff, annoyed with his I'm-greater-than-everyone antics. Who does he think he is?

I grab his hand and shake it forcefully, "Deal."

~

"I WON. I WON. I WON I WON I WON!" I sing as I shimmy to a victory dance on top of the car, "GOOD LORD JESUS I WON!" I yell while dramatically throwing my hands in the air.

Below me, I hear a little huff of indignation. So I jump down and pinch Kale's cheeks, "Aw, little Kaley-Poo is mad because" I start dancing and singing with his cheeks in my hand, "I WON. I WON. I WON I WON I WON!"

He scornfully swats my hands away, "I am not. Now can you shut up?"

I shrug, "Yeah, but Kale?"

"What?" He bites back.

I go close to him, until our noses almost touch and he stiffens, "I won. I won. I won I won I won." I whisper-sing.

He groans and pushes me away, "Will you stop it!?"

I mock hurt and he gives me a look that could only mean 'I'm this close to wringing your neck'.

"Ok ok, but I expect my $20 when we go back home." I view the bland scenery in front of us, "if we go back home."

"We are going to get back home! We just need to wait."

I moan, "How long are we going to wait? Lets just drive around and see if we can find a farmer or something."

"We aren't going to drive around because that takes gas and we can't afford to lose any more."

I gape at him, "Dang Kale. When did you become so smart?

He rolls his eyes, "I've always been smart sweetheart. You were just too dumb to notice it."

I scoff, "Correction, I didn't care enough to notice it."

I was met with silence and an amused glance that had 'cocky' written all over it.

I cross my arms in anger but before I had the chance to say something bratty, a dull cry came from the car.