chapter 33

The sun shines in through my window, begging my eyes to open, and I slowly comply, fluttering them awake. For a moment, I have to try to remember the events from the day before, but they come flooding in before I can relax in the tranquility.

"Good, you're up! I thought you were going to slip into a coma or something." Dylan chimes as he rushes into my room, carrying a plate piled with breakfast foods.

"How are you always so upbeat?" I groan, rubbing my eyes. It would be nice to have some miserable company.

"There's nothing to be down about."

"So they got to Hailee?" I can't help my heart from racing with hope.

"Not exactly." He sets the plate on my desk and motions for me to sit down there and eat, so I comply.

"I'm only eating because it smells delicious, and I don't like to waste food." I say matter of factly, picking up the fork and wasting no time in cutting into the waffle.

"A hunger strike isn't going to get her back any sooner, so you may as well eat to your heart's content."

"What's the update on all of that?" I form the words through my mouth full of waffle.

"Louis and Harry found a witch, and she's working with them, which I think is just because she's sleeping with Louis." He explains, sitting on the edge of my bed.

"That's good news."

"Yes! I'm glad you're being positive." His smile somehow stretches even bigger, and I narrow my eyes at him.

"Why would I not be positive about that?" I ask, "Isn't it a good thing?"

"Stop looking for a grey cloud, Tabitha. Just be happy about something for once."

"I've already ended Hailee's life, so I don't want to be the reason for any more harm being done to her." I explain, keeping my eyes on my plate.

"I understand that, but you're not the reason for what's happening with her right now." He runs his hand through his hair, "The only reason I said that I was glad about you being positive is because you never are."

"And I immediately assumed you were keeping bad news from me." I realize the point that he's trying to make.

"I know that things are difficult, but you have to stay focused on why you're going through all of this."

"Why am I going through all of this?" I frown, forcing a forkful of eggs into my mouth, "That is the question."

"To be a good person."

"Don't bullshit me. Throughout all of this, there has never been a reason for why this is all happening to me. I mean, I'm not destined or anything."

"You're right. Nobody has ever explained to you just why Harry came to your house that evening." He sighs and sits down on the edge of the bed, so I place the plate in my lap and swivel my chair to face him.

"What evening?"

"The day that you first started noticing him, or the dark figure, I should say."

"Oh, right." I nod, thinking of a memory that seems much farther away than it truly is, "I was watching a movie when I first noticed him."

"I'm glad you remember!" He exclaims, "See, he didn't just stumble upon your house and decide to torment you."

"Are you going to tell me or not?" I stuff a few of the eggs onto my fork then stab a piece of the waffle with it.

"Well, he had wanted to check on you. He hadn't heard anything about you since you were around six. In fact, he totally blocked you from his mind."