chapter twenty

"I'm not going to play your stupid game, Louis. You're completely psychotic." I throw the blank piece of paper into one of the sinks, letting it soak up the remaining dots of water that never made it down the drain.

"Don't let that go to waste. Some people would really enjoy that piece of paper." He stares down at it for a moment then his eyes flicker back up to meet mine. 

"What are you talking about?" I don't want to give in to looking at the paper just yet. It's exactly what he wants from me, and I have to hold some type of my dignity.

"Not everything is as it seems. Sometimes you have to give something a closer to look to truly determine its worth."

"Alright, poet." I roll my eyes and reach for the paper, trying my best not to look as anxious as I feel. My fingers gently hold the corners of the paper, and I'm astounded at what I'm now holding.

I know the paper was blank before because it ruined my hopes of having some sort of note from Avaline, so now I'm confused as to how there is writing on it. The penmanship looks utterly perfect, which I've become used to seeing when reading notes from demons.

It reads:

How much do you really know about yourself? You claim that you're a banshee, and we all know that you could be a powerful one, but do you really know anything about being one?

Here's how you'll learn: saving Avaline through your new knowledge. For instance, whenever you learn a new fact, you will get a clue about where she is. Are you ready?

Your first question. This is quite exciting. Where did banshees originate?

I crumple the paper into a ball in my fist then frown at Louis. My being a banshee has nothing to do with him, and I definitely don't need some extreme lessons on what I am from him. If anyone should be teaching me something, it should be Harry. Mentally, I slap myself for still returning to him even after what he did to me last night.

"This is the stupidest thing I have ever read."

"I bet you're thinking that I shouldn't be the one to teach you." He begins to pace in front of me with his hands locked behind his back, "You probably think that Harry should be your mentor. I mean, he's been with you since you learned about this. He even told you what you are."

"Yeah, so what the hell do you think you're doing?"

"I'm showing you that I can be on your side. I'm taking time from my very busy day to help you learn about yourself."

"I don't need help from you. Even after all of this, I won't want your help because you only manipulated me to work with you." I run my hand through my hair with a sigh.

"You wouldn't allow me to teach you if I had just asked, so I'm taking things into my own hands. If you want to keep Avaline safe, you need to learn about yourself, and maybe you'll realize how you need to take this more seriously."

"What is that supposed to mean?" I shout, "I take my life pretty damn seriously!"

"You rarely do anything that banshees do! All you do is try to hide your screams when someone has died, which is stupid since that's all about who you are!" 

"I'm sorry that I would rather live a normal life than drop everything and start wailing every time someone near me dies." I scoff. 

Without any warning, he grabs me with an impeccable strength, holding my arms by my sides while his hands grip my shirt at my lower back. He pushes his lips against mine, and I immediately pull my face away, but this only gives him access to suck on my neck, which he does instantaneously. I hear the door swing open and a loud gasp.