Chapter 18: White Walls

Gerard showed up to school the next day, not seeing any sign of Frank, he decided to text him. He didn't get a reply but presumed it was because he was asleep. Of course he was slightly worried but he tried to reassure himself that it's nothing to worry about. It was just one day after all.

But still he couldn't shake this sinking feeling that something wasn't quite right.

"Gerard, please go down to the office," his teacher said from the front of the room, snapping him out of his thoughts. He didn't argue and just got up from his seat and headed to the office. He had no idea why he was being called down, maybe it had something to do with Mikey. He knocked on the door and was met by one of the head teachers. "Come in and sit down." She smiled and motioned for him to come inside. "So why am I here?" Gerard questioned the brunette teacher with make up caked on to her face.

"I called you down here because of your friend, Frank Iero," she started and Gerards heart dropped the moment she said it. "I understand you two are close friends and his mother rang in today to tell us that he's in hospital," she stated. "What? Is he okay? What happened?" Gerard rushed out his words.  "He overdosed and he's okay now. We don't know when he'll be coming back to school, yet," she explained.

Gerard sat there, utterly shocked. He didn't say anything. She started talking again but he wasn't paying any attention. His mind was focused on Frank and nothing else. He sat up and turned on his heel. He knew Frank would be at the only hospital a little way out of town. He didn't care that he was ditching school nor did he care the head teacher was shouting after him. He only cared about Frank.

He should have spoken to someone earlier. He should have gotten him help before this happened. Gerard was just lucky he hadn't succeeded. Or else the guilt would have literally eaten him alive. If Frank had succeeded, Gerard would have.., well- he didn't want to think about a life without his sweet boyfriend.

He got the bus to the hospital and sprinted inside, usually he wasn't one for doing sports but right now he just needed to see Frank. To make sure he was okay. Solidify the thought that nothing was going to happen. That Frank was safe now. That both of them would be okay. But even when he walked into Franks room after asking the receptionist for the room number, he couldn't rid the feeling that nothing was okay. His boyfriend had tried to kill himself. Nothing was okay about that. Nothing would ever be okay about that.

Franks eyes shot up when he heard the door open. His eyes were bloodshot from crying. He didn't want this, he never wanted this. He was supposed to finally escape. Be at peace. But the world wouldn't let him. It had to torture him further. And maybe in his sick brain he thought this was what he deserved.

Gerards eyes met Franks and the sight made him want to cry. Frank was laying in a hospital bed, hooked up to several machines. He looked pale. So pale that his now pasty white skin barely contrasted with his bleach white surroundings.

Their gazes were caught in each others. Neither dared to break the silence. Both feared the conversation they would inevitably have to have.

After several minutes of the two boys staring at each other, desperately searching for something, anything, in the others eyes from across the room, Gerard broke the dream haze both appeared to be in by walking over to the hospital bed. He sat down on one of the chairs situated by the bed and gently took his damaged boyfriends hand between his own.

Still transfixed, they struggled to find words. Then again, what should you say when you see your boyfriend lying in a hospital bed after he tried to kill himself?
And what should you say when you're lying there, trying not to drown in guilt as you see how terribly you have affected your boyfriend after trying to kill yourself?