Chapter 3

Chapter 3

During my lunch break I took the long scenic drive to Michael’s home. Most vampires slept during the day and I thought it was the best way to get in and out without having to see him and risk some messy feelings bringing me down. I could leave the envelope on his desk and walk away. But much to my surprise he was awake and seated behind his desk when I stepped in. So much for in and out. “No sleep today?” I knew he would be at that meeting the staff was going crazy to be ready by sunset for.

“Catnaps work just fine. Are you working the night shift?”

“No, Rosie is.” I quickly picked up on the fact Caleb wasn’t the only one walking around tense.  I knew from past experience when Michael worked during the day it had to do with more than some shipping problem or disagreement amongst the business parties. “Is everything ok?”

“It’s fine.”

“Because you know if something was wrong I’d help you.”

Michael looked up from his desk and his green eyes softened. “I know.”

“All right then, I should get back to work.” I turned around and left as my heart protested every step. I wanted to stick around and make him talk to me except the same way he lost his rights to me, I lost mine to him. I couldn’t demand answers and pout until I got my way anymore.

Since I was still on my lunch break I didn’t immediately go back to my post, instead I went to the back room and made a call. Rosie was glad when I offered to cover her shift because she didn’t like to work the night shift anyway. Things that came out during the darkest hours scared her.

With each passing hour the crowd would pick up and change. The days held simple business men and women dining with colleagues to discuss whatever it was they did, toward sunset the crowd became secretive and mellower to the naked eye. To my eye the non-humans began to join the living.

There was a separate list when Dominic held his roof top parties, those invited I would escorted through the elevator to the garden rooftop with a large table everyone sat at together.

 Caleb was one of the last to arrive, and the hours in between from when we saw each other earlier eased some tension from his shoulders.

The elevator ride was silent and routine until it stopped with a rough jerk downward. I stumbled back where Caleb’s hands around my waist stopped me from hitting the floor. “Thanks.” I mumbled and pulled away from him. I walked over to the doors and banged on them, yeah like that was going to help. “Dominic is going to be pissed.”

“It would seem so.”

The way he said it caused me to turn around and follow my gut reaction. “You set this up?” he shrugged. “Why?”

Caleb shrugged again and leaned back against the teal colored paneling. “You weren’t supposed to be here. I just needed a little stall time and there’s no reason for you to get angry and possessive. No one’s being hurt.”

I didn’t like the sound of that. He was lying to me, he had to be planning something and it involved Michael. “Don’t be so sure because I’m feeling a little violent. I don’t like games, especially if I’m involved, planned or not.”

“Are you getting ready to rant and throw a tempter tantrum? Warn me so I can zone you out.”

I inhaled sharply. “I really don’t like you. How long are we stuck for?” I looked back at the doors; it’d be so easy to open them if I wasn’t paranoid about exposure.

“Ten minutes tops.”

“You’re setting something up, I know that, aren’t you worried I might tell Dominic or Michael?” I crossed my arms and leaned against the opposite side of the elevator to face him.

“How do you know they aren’t involved?” asked Caleb.

“Are they?” His response was to shrug again. We fell into a silence I could only describe as annoying. I thought back to the envelope, it could be he and Michael came to some sort of understanding? Try as hard as I might I couldn’t see what purpose it’d have for Caleb to be stuck and late to the party. “This is stupid.”

“Why are you so nervous?”

“I’m not nervous, you’re mixing up your scents. I’m angry. I should’ve went home at sunset but it’s easier when Dominic has meetings if it’s me to escort the guests. Rosie the pretty little human always gets mistaken for a snack. Trying to be nice look what happens.”

“Speaking of human, what are you?”

I met his dark blue eyes. “Excuse me?”

“Everything has its scent, I met you before you were changed and you weren’t human then either. I couldn’t figure it out.” Caleb explained.

It was my turn to shrug. “Maybe you got your scents crossed. You seem to be good at that.” It was a lame answer. Werewolves could sniff anything out, race, moods, even thoughts if they tried hard enough.

“Maybe but not likely. You hold a lot of secrets Evangeline Cortez and I’m curious.” Caleb replied smoothly, seeming approachable like someone you’d want to tell all your tales to.

“Don’t be, secrets or not, I’m none of your business.”  We said nothing more to each other. Minutes later the elevator started back up.